Pine cones

Helen.

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen lots of pine cones in hamster set ups. Can you use ones from the garden or do they need to be treated first?
Thank you.

Hello. There has often been mixed thought on pine cones. Some people think they're not safe to use, but plenty of people use them these days. However, if they're from the garden, they would need to be sanitised first. I'd give them a good rinse in very hot water and then bake them in the oven on 100 degrees c for about 30 minutes. This should kill any bug eggs or parasites. I've never yet seen a hamster chew a pine cone! But they can look nice.

I've used pinecones in my set ups and hide food in them, it's great enrichment for them. If you are worried about them chewing it, you can use cardboard tubes filled with substrate and food. I've even used egg boxes, cut them and stacked them, added food then hung it in the cage with jute.

I personally have never had a hamster attempt to chew them, or rats for that matter.

I've used pinecones in my set ups and hide food in them, it's great enrichment for them. If you are worried about them chewing it, you can use cardboard tubes filled with substrate and food. I've even used egg boxes, cut them and stacked them, added food then hung it in the cage with jute.

I personally have never had a hamster attempt to chew them, or rats for that matter.
Thank you.

Reactions: Maz
Thank you.

Great thank you. I'll leave out the pinecones if they don't worry about chewing them.

Reactions: Maz
I'm sure they'd be fine :-) As long as you sanitise them if they're from a garden. They are sold for hamsters these days.

Back