Playpen time

Emx93

Hamster Legend
Reaction score
What items do your hammies love in their playpen?
Once teddy has been with us for a week or two I want to start trying to get him used to the playpen. Maple free roamed and charmander also free roamed as he hated the playpen 🙈 so it may be that we do hamster proofing rather than playpen again this time.
How long should he ideally have been in his new home for before trying playpen time?
What items do your hammies enjoy for playpen time?
I have a plastic trixie 28cm wheel which I will pop in, I plan on getting him a 30cm flying saucer wheel too, I have terecotta plant pots for hides, a coco coir box but is there anything else your hammies really enjoy out of the cage?

I put in cardboard boxes with different substrates. You can hide seeds in them so the hamster has to find them. Cardboard rolls are very popular with my hamster as well as hides.

I feel the time to try a playpen is when a hamster is settled in their new cage. I am sure others will have their own opinions. :)

Thankyou 💖 he seems fairly settled to be honest- active, not hiding away when we are around, slept out in the open last night etc. I think I will give him a few more days before trying though just to be sure 🥰

I will definitely hide seeds etc around for him to forage for 🥰

None of mine like a playpen and freeroam.

Depends on the hamster when they want out of cage time and they let me know. They are all rescues so not usually babies. Syrian Eric wanted out soon as he arrived but i had one Syrian who was still a baby and a terrified one so he needed a few weeks in the security of his cage to feel confident enough to come out.

Recycling like cardboard boxes with holes cut in are popular, a long plastic tube, wheels, big flying saucer, tunnels, hides, anything to sniff at and explore really.

Wheel (as you are doing), saucer, hides, hidden bits of food. The Rosewood carrot cottage is popular with some.

Back