Playpens and Playareas

The only way they can escape that is if you have things too close to the edge they can climb on! Or if you're as determined as Raffy was, avoid tall hides in the middle as well. He used to climb on top of it, hurl himself at the side and when he landed (sometimes just a thump and he'd not make it), he would cling on to the top edge with his front paws and climb over. That stopped once I removed the tall hide!
Ohhh I see makes sense!! I wonder if they would ever make a higher version. Hamsters are crafty creatures so there is always a risk 😅😅 that’s why you gotta always watch them 😂

They are definitely clever and escape artists!

Hi all,
Not sure if anyone is in the market at the moment, but just noticed the Songmics playpens are on sale on Amazon at the moment (20 - 30% off depending on size and colour). I have a feeling they are on sales quite regularly but they look like pretty good prices to me.

That sounds really good - thanks for the tip.

Just started using the Happy Henry Homes playpen I got for Tino. It's much better quality than the Skyline one that looks similar. No splinters.

One thing to be aware of (which I wasn't when I bought it!) is that the 30cm one is only 30cm tall at the tallest point. It has a wavy design. The lowest point is only 25cm tall so that's not really Syrian Hamster proof (or at least will need keeping an eye on).

It came in two sizes when I ordered it - 30cm or 40cm. My previous Skyline one was 30cm high so I thought that would be fine. But as two ends are only 25cm then it's better for dwarf hamsters. Presumably the 40cm one will be 35cm at the lower ends. But there are now four different height sizes
- 26cm, 35cm, 30cm and 40cm. I'd suggest 35 or 40 cm for a Syrian and 26 or 30cm for a dwarf. It's the same price whichever height you choose.

It's not cheap at £50! I wish I had bought the slightly taller one but this one is fine with careful observation. They also seem to make a wood floor for it now as well. That seems to add another £35.

HHH playpen.jpg

Last edited:
Just started using the Happy Henry Homes playpen I got for Tino. It's much better quality than the Skyline one that looks similar. No splinters.

One thing to be aware of (which I wasn't when I bought it!) is that the 30cm one is only 30cm tall at the tallest point. It has a wavy design. The lowest point is only 25cm tall so that's not really Syrian Hamster proof (or at least will need keeping an eye on).

It came in two sizes when I ordered it - 30cm or 40cm. My previous Skyline one was 30cm high so I thought that would be fine. But as two ends are only 25cm then it's better for dwarf hamsters. Presumably the 40cm one will be 35cm at the lower ends. But there are now four different height sizes
- 26cm, 35cm, 30cm and 40cm. I'd suggest 35 or 40 cm for a Syrian and 26 or 30cm for a dwarf. It's the same price whichever height you choose.

It's not cheap at £50! I wish I had bought the slightly taller one but this one is fine with careful observation. They also seem to make a wood floor for it now as well. That seems to add another £35.

View attachment 8276
It's a good looking play pen, but the 25cm height is unfortunate. I recall Tino jumping out of the bucket trap. And Socks somehow getting onto the roof of the guinea pig cage 🥷

Reactions: Maz
It is indeed unfortunate! Silly of me not to check when I could see it had a wavy design. I just saw 30cm and thought that's ok. It should say it's 25cm in places. Anyway - that's why I've posted the info! So others don't get caught out. Tino was busy running around and using his wheel but I suppose at some point he might try to get out. So I had to keep watching the corners!

There's guy who makes them is nice, he might take it back and custom make a tall pen with straight lines

Yes he does make them - I think it’s ok though and will keep it. 25cm is still high enough a Syrian can’t get over - unless there was something nearby to climb on or unless they took a running jump to hang onto the sides. (Raffy used to do that even with a 30 cm one but that was from a hide in the middle so I removed that!)

True, you would have time to intervene if necessary. I'm sure there will be many nice toys and hides in the pen to keep its users occupied and out of mischief!

There's guy who makes them is nice, he might take it back and custom make a tall pen with straight lines
I had a think about that and decided to send it back. Only to find OH had been "tidying up" and thrown the box away! Grr. I can't really anyway as it's been here about two months! Even if I didn't open the box until Monday.

It's might look a bit strange, but even an extension of light weight cardboard would do the trick. They can't climb the sides, so a jumper would be baffled by just a little extra height.

Good idea :) I'll see how it goes. As you say, Tino managed to escape a bucket! But I would always supervise the playpen and look out for any attempts! Technically it may be possible to get over even a 30cm high playpen if they try hard enough. Raffy escaped the 30cm one twice! Once I realised how he was doing it I managed to stop it. But it was after that I started letting him free roam because he would come back and walk into a tube after getting used to that in the playpen. Tino hasn't been out again since that night!

I have the opposite thing with Socks, he's a would be digger. Yes, I remember I was quite nervous when Socks went for his first free roam. Catching them again can be tricky. I'd seen him doing a vertical take off (inside his cage) and wondered how I would catch him. It wasn't easy at first as he was a bit flighty. He soon learned to use the tunnel though.

The other thing I've noticed is there is quite a large gap under the playpen in one corner! Our floor is old and uneven but this playpen seems a bit lighter than the Skyline one so doesn't press down as heavily. A hamster could easily get under it! I shall have to move it along a bit to find the best position!

That is tricky as you don't want Tino or Higgins to try to squeeze through and possibly get hurt. How much does the floor cost?

About £35. I don't really want a floor in it though. I'm quite happy having it on carpet. I'll just have to sort something out. At the moment though, neither are coming out and Higgins will probably go in the bathtub first :-)

Just adding the new Omlet Playpens to this thread as an option :-)

Omlet playpen from site.jpg

small playpen jpeg.jpeg

Back