Please help

Colin79

Reaction score
My son’s hamster has a growth in his testicle area and I’d like some help please. He’s nearly 3 years old and has recently been loosing his fur

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 3
Hello. I'm sorry to hear this. Three years is a very great age for a hamster. Many only get to two or two and a half. So he's doing really well. It's fairly normal for them to start losing some hair. The growth doesn't look very nice and you would need to see a vet about that. Unfortunately hamsters do get various medical things when they get older, just like humans. It might be a tumour but it might also be benign. The only way a vet can tell usually is by giving antibiotics and anti inflammatories and see if it shrinks. The anti inflammatory is also a pain relief and it can be good for them to be on that anyway when they're older as they often can have a bit of arthritis or toothache and hamsters are very good at hiding pain, being prey animals.

How is he in himself? Is he fairly active and eating and drinking ok? Walking around ok? Not sitting hunched or with his ears down? (those latter two are signs they're in pain).

Do you know if he's been biting at it at all?

He seems ok in himself. He’s eating and drinking. Seems to be sleeping a lot though. But I guess coz of his age this would be normal.not sitting with ears down at all. Not as mobile as he was but still walking around.

Reactions: Maz
Yes it's normal for them to sleep more at this age. I think a vet visit is needed though if only to get him some pain relief.

Back