Proper Wheel + Saucer Wheel = Enrichment?

Zenshii

Reaction score
Hello! I've been kind of getting some mixed information. While doing Hammy research before getting a hamster I was always reading that saucer wheels were dangerous and shouldn't be used. But then I have read somewhere online, and also on these forums, that saucer wheels, when not used as a MAIN wheel, are good for enrichment? Could someone please tell me their opinion on this? Should I add a saucer wheel to my Hammy's enclosure to give them extra enrichment? And if so, what is the safest / best one to buy?

I think you will always find different opinions on this. Some people say they are fine to use in a playpen. I personally would not bother getting one. You have a nice Niteangel wheel.

If you do want to use one then it would be best used in a playpen only. I personally do not use them. :)

Ah! Fair enough! I honestly hear they can be dangerous and I would just be worried that Dango might get hurt. Thank you for sharing your opinion on this! It helps to hear from experts.

You are most welcome. I am not an expert at all. I have my first hamster like you do. He has been with me for 10 months. :)

I’m not a big fan of saucers personally but they can be ok, one problem is that they aren’t very stable & tend to move about a lot when hamsters use them so you need to find a way to stop that.
I think the running position on a wheel is better for them & would only consider a saucer as an extra for out of cage time.

Saucers aren't dangerous. Especially for dwarf hamsters. The main concerns with them (mainly for larger Syrians) is that, as a permanent wheel, they don't get to run in a normal position. But dwarf hamsters are much smaller and run on them fine. Our view is that they should have an upright wheel as the main wheel - so they can run in a straight line which is more normal. But a saucer as an additional wheel is fine - if you have space for it and it can go in an area with plenty of substrate. I had both an upright wheel and a saucer in the cage for our roborovski dwarf and he loved both and used both regularly. The main reason people have them in the playpen is because there isn't often room for two wheels in a cage :)

As Elusive says, they can slip about it, but I find they are fine if they are on the substrate as you can just push them down into the substrate slightly and that keeps them stable.

It's not necessary, but if you have the space then it could be something your hamster could enjoy as well. When they are first learning to use a saucer, they can fly off - but they soon get the hang of it. So the important thing there is to make sure there's enough space around it so if they do fly off at first, they can't hurt themselves on anything hard.

My dwarf Lilly has a 9in Silent Runner which she uses but she also has a saucer she uses as well. I had to add a loft extension to her cage so she could run on her saucer without jamming it or it slipping around. I placed it on Aspen substrate.
I don't think that they are dangerous for a dwarf and make a good enrichment as an additional wheel for those dwarfs who like it. In my opinion anyway.
There is a photo of my dwarf Ozzy in the photo competition with him on his saucer.
As already said, opinions vary on a lot of things to do with hamsters.

Reactions: Maz
My little Albert has a up right wheel. I personally don't like flying saucers. You're doing the right thing by researching and getting different opinions on this subject and then you can decide what is best for your hamster. Sometimes it's just trying things out with your hamster and seeing what happens. Hamsters are very good at telling you if they aren't happy... Well Albert is anyway.

Personally, I think his current wheel is just fine for him (especially after seeing that video). And he would enjoy a saucer as well if you have space and enough space around it initially (because he will fly off a few times until he gets used to it). But it's really up to you. I've not heard of a dwarf hamster who didn't like a saucer :) It needs to be at least 6.5 to 7" in diameter though (slightly different sizing to wheels).

I would just stick with the upright wheel, a saucer takes up a lot of space, more than a wheel & I think for in the cage you can make better use of the space, for out of cage time personally I’d stick with another wheel.

Back