R.I.P - help with cause of death?

Sittinghammy

Reaction score
Hello
I’ve taken a look at some recent posts that describe how hamsters get older and decline, which is good to know… but unfortunately my hammy already passed before showing really any signs of decline. I saw no problems with his teeth, breathing, drinking, or low energy. I had just started to notice he wasn’t pouching as much food as he used to, this was a few days before he died. He was a male Syrian, I’ve had him for four months, and he was adopted, so he was at least a year old. I think he may have been a little older than I originally thought. I don’t need a cause of death necessarily, but knowing if perhaps he wasn’t in too much pain before he passed would be nice.

Any ideas..?

I really am so very sorry to hear this. I remember when you rescued him. He had some fur loss didnt he and you managed to give him a healthy diet. When rescuing a hamster you can never really be sure of their age. It may have been he passed away due to old age. It sounds like he passed away peacefully. You gave him the perfect retirement home and he passed knowing love and good care.

Thank you 🙂 If you think he passed peacefully, I feel a little better. There’s no telling now, but at least he showed no signs of suffering.

I am so sorry to hear this. He was so lucky you looked after him for the last part of his life. It's a big shock when they pass suddenly with no signs of prior illness. He could well have been older than you thought, but he could just have had a weak heart. At least he passed in his home and peacefully. Big hugs though.

I’m so sorry it is very hard when they go so unexpectedly but hamsters life expectancy can be quite unpredictable & some do seem to age faster than others & we can’t really know why, it may just be genetics.
I think you can rest assured he didn’t suffer it does sound as though the end of his life was peaceful & comfortable with no sign that he was ill or in distress & you gave him the best care you could.

Back