s.o.s-sores with pus

tzo

Reaction score
Our little king is about 3 years old. last monthes he has some sores with pus .sometimes are black or brown and smells bad sometimes are clear but looks like crater. Day by day being bigger and vets in my city cant help him.
Has anybody idea why that happes and how i can help him recover?
Thanks a lot.

p.s.pics are about previous month,now he is in worst situation,he is eating and drinking water but not playing as mucs as before

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_112958.jpg
    IMG_20231004_112958.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231004_113011.jpg
    IMG_20231004_113011.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231004_113017.jpg
    IMG_20231004_113017.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231004_113038.jpg
    IMG_20231004_113038.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi. Those do look nasty - he really needs to see a vet for a diagnosis and treatment. The vet may be able to diagnose or may give antibiotics and pain relief/anti inflammatories to see if they improve.

No one vet here can help him. A couple of vet told us that they cant give him medicine because he is old enough, about 3 years old

That is a good idea of Rainbow's. Regarding vets though, they should at least have an option for humane euthanasia. Sadly it does seem like your hamster is suffering and the sores will be painful. Without knowing the cause or being able to get treatment, then it can be the kindest thing for an elderly hamster who is suffering.

I can't tell what could be causing it. They could be tumours or it could be something else. Another thing you could try is bathing them with thyme tea/solution. Thyme is an antiseptic mainly but has some antibiotic properties. You would need fresh or dried thyme herb and make up a solution by steeping it in boiled water for maybe 20 to 30 minutes. About 1 heaped teaspoonful to a pint. Wait until it has gone cold. Then drain it off so you just have the liquid. The liquid will keep in the fridge for a few days so you can try bathing the sores daily. It may help a bit if it's infection.

I think he dont have pain. He is playing and running in room, also eating as before. I m cleaning him every day and put human medicine for sores as a vet told. But sores going bigger day by day

Hamsters hide pain because they are a prey animal. Would you be able to say what the human medicine is called that you are using?

Which human medicine are you using? Hamsters are very good at hiding pain, being prey animals - they will be painful if they are open sores like that but it does sound good that he is still playing and running in the room. I would try the thyme solution. I wouldn't put anything greasy on them like a cream. Use the corner of a soft cloth to dab the solution on - it wouldn't be quick or miraculous but it's worth a try.

Posted at the same time as Rainbow :-)

Its not cancer because sores opened, first was with sur at the end was with blood but cant recovered. I use fucidic acid. He lick it sometimes but vet said that its safe

There are other herbs I could suggest, if you can get them. For external application. Another one is St John's Wort, which was used to heal wounds on the battlefields during the crusades. I would try thyme first though as if it smells foul it will be infected. You don't want the oil though - that's too strong and aromatic. Just the plain herb steeped in water. This is just my opinion by the way, not veterinary advice.

Those do look nasty. It looks like perhaps he had a lump which ulcerated.

Fusidic acid is safe for hamsters and will help any infection but it may not help the wounds heal and they could be causing significant pain. Could you ask your vet about pain medication? Something like metacam may help with any pain he might have and also reduce inflammation.

Fusidic acid is an antibiotic cream. I suspect he would really need oral antibiotics. That is usually Baytril (enrofloxacin). It's used for other pets as well but presumably the vet doesn't have it.

That would be first line treatment usually - Baytril (antibiotic) and Metacam (anti inflammatory and pain relief).

Do you think, because his age he cant manage thoose antibiotics?

It's something that's difficult to tell until you try. Do you mean the baytril? Baytril can make hamsters a bit off colour while they are on it sometimes (not always) but I've had older hamsters tolerate it well.

Back