Sand for sand baths

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on this as there can sometimes be some confusion about different types of sand and what is safe. What is even more confusing is the varying views on this with, historically, some people saying quartz sand isn't good as it's too "sharp" and others saying sepiolite sands aren't good (even though many people have been using it for many years). Sepiolite is from volcanic rock apparently, so not the same as clay as such (there have been alarmist posts online about it being made from clay).

I've been using the JR Farm Chinchilla sand for quite some time (Zooplus still sell that for shipping to the Uk). Which is meerschaum (another name for sepiolite). The Tiny Friends sand is also sepiolite, as is the Wittemolen brand sold by Rodipet. I've tried some of the Rodipet sands (they have a few) but prefer the JR Farm one (which also comes in a big bag so lasts for ages).

I've also seen a lot on the internet recently about recommending certain brands of reptile sand (which is quartz) that are calcium free. A few people are using that without issue as well. I think the historical view that reptile sand wasn't good for hamsters was because some of them contain calcium so it's the calcium free reptile sand that I've seen people recommending.

Sterilised childrens play sand is also used by quite a few people without issue.

Whichever sand you use, it needs to be not too dusty as the dusty ones are bad for a hamster's breathing. Neither does it want to be too coarse either.

It's still slightly confusing that most German sites say sand should be quartz free, but most reptile sands are quartz based.

Last edited:
Thank you. It seems popular with hamster owners and as you say, seems to be a safe one.. It just says natural sand and doesn't say what it's made from - does it say on the packet?

Thank you. It seems popular with hamster owners and as you say, seems to be a safe one.. It just says natural sand and doesn't say what it's made from - does it say on the packet?
No. It just says 100% natural.

I've always used the Tiny Friends farm sand for the simple reason that i prefer to buy in shops.
Recently, i've also bought the Little One sand which is slightly coarser but still soft.

I've tried the calcium free reptile sand from p@h but found it too heavy and the hamster's wee didn't form clumps as well.

I've always been a bit puzzled by playsand and have never used it.
Some people say it needs only baking to dry it, others say it needs to be washed, rinsed and baked. All way too much effort for me.

Reactions: Maz
I didn't know Little One made sand.

That's useful to know thank you :-) Tried and tested by the sound of it.

I just looked it up! Yes I think it's Komodo dessert sand, the one sold by Pets at Home that you have (without calcium) so it seems fine.

Back