Silent Runner Question

Floof

Reaction score
Has anyone on here managed to fit a 12” silent runner in the hamster heaven cage?

I know it’s been done with the 11” wodent wheels but couldn’t find anything on the silent runner.

Thanks!

I think I managed it once as a temporary solution but it only just fits. It really limits how much bedding you can have in the cage as about half of it has to have very shallow bedding to accomodate the wheel. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution.

I thought it didn't fit. It's 35cm tall on it's stand and the hamster heaven is max 36cm tall inside. But just seen Daisy said she managed it once! Without the stand it's only 30cm high but then the bottom part might not clear the cage base if it was attached to bars. It wouldn't be an ideal option. What I did was use a trixie wood wheel upside down :). You just need two round flat washers. There are already two screws in the bottom of the base that screw into the stand. You take the base off the wheel (it used to just pull off but my last one was glued on tight and had to be partly sawed off, but it came off cleanly). You then use the screws and washers to screw into the existing holes in the stand (base removed) with the wheel and stand upside down in the cage. The washers are on the outside with the screws going through into the stand. It was very stable when I did it. It means there is a bit of substrate under the wheel but still not a huge amount.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I’ll go with an 11” wodent wheel wired to the top via the stand.

Reactions: Maz
I've attached an 11" Trixie wheel upsidedown before which worked but made cleaning the wheel really awkward. I'd try and position it in a way that makes it easy to get to.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I’ll go with an 11” wodent wheel wired to the top via the stand.
Are you in the US? (I know you can still get wodent wheels there). 11" wodent wheel attached to the top works well. It's the best size wheel to fit in that cage. I have a photo comparison somewhere = I'll see if I can dig it out. It's the most compact 11" wheel and I actually think it's safer hung upside down (I just used two cable ties in strategic places to secure the stand to the top bars).

Are you in the US? (I know you can still get wodent wheels there). 11" wodent wheel attached to the top works well. It's the best size wheel to fit in that cage. I have a photo comparison somewhere = I'll see if I can dig it out. It's the most compact 11" wheel and I actually think it's safer hung upside down (I just used two cable ties in strategic places to secure the stand to the top bars).

Yes, I am in the US!

Cable ties is a good idea, probably a bit quieter then wire.

Back