Small bugs

cmin9

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks again for the suggestions on my previous posts, Bez is all good!

Now the current issue. Some months ago had these bugs you can see below. Got rid of the infested wooden parts, cleaned everything else etc. Now they are back, but in smaller groups. The bugs don't seem interested in the hamster, only in wood and cardboard. The hamster has no health issues and didn't had last time due to these bugs (weight loss, apathy, fur falling, scratching etc).

The internet got me confused, not sure what are these actually. Booklice? Mites? Don't know. Is not really a humid environment we have here so it's cage is pretty dry. My guess is that they might be present on the wooden toys we buy and realise some month later.

What you can see below is the adult I guess. I've seen also smaller and more transparent, those might be the younglings.

Attachments

• IMG_20240605_125616__01.jpg
    IMG_20240605_125616__01.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 5
It does sound a bit like book lice then if they're only interested in paper and cardboard. They could well have come with some wooden item as well. A lot of freeze items for a week before use just in case there are any bug eggs in them.

Main things to freeze are hamster food and hay (nearly all pet food contains moth eggs which aren't visible and can hatch out when it gets warm enough).

I also freeze any rough bark wood items, sprays, cork - etc etc. Or you can bake wood and cork items. I don't do it with smooth wood though.

Sorry you're having this again. I'd suggest a clean out again and baking any wood or cork items at 100 degrees centigrade for about 30 minutes.

Thank you for the reply! I checked a bit his fur, didn't any bug of any type. Also emailed the vet and will try to get a bug to him to see what exactly are they actually. I will start freezing stuff. I just got him a bag of food and got it right in the freezer. I read that these bugs might die if they don't have the right cliamte (humidity and all of that) so maybe they will go away soon being a bit dry and hot right now.

Reactions: Maz
I hope the vet helps identify them. No I shouldn't think they are something that would live on the hamster - but it's not nice if they get in the cage and the hamster has to keep being cleaned out. And not nice for you generally!

Yes. It's no really a hamster problem right now, but I guess the bugs can multiply and get out control at some point.

Are they just in the hamster cage, or anywhere else in your home as well?

My girlfriend said she saw one in the degu cage. Didn't see anywhere else. But at the same time, they are so small, i might just not see them

That does sound like they have come from a cage item then. Or possible even from the food.

Back