Spot cleaning

RainbowBrite

Hamster Guardian
Founder Member
Reaction score
Sprite has been with us for five weeks and I have not found his toilet. He toilets in his sand which I sieve weekly but I am not sure when I need to be looking for any bedding he has wee'd on. With Orko I only needed to remove his toilet every 5 or so months and there was never any smell. I was wondering how to go about this as Sprite is a different species and likely to wee more.

I will have to remove items to find any toilet areas which I know will be stressful. I know some people do this weekly but I am not sure if I need to do this with Sprite.

If he uses the sand & he was peeing on the shelf & in that hide on top of his house there probably won’t be much else to find yet, if he’s not peeing in the new cardboard hide you put there then he’s probably found another spot so you might have to have a bit of a hunt around fairly soon.
It depends where the pee is but you can’t always smell it, kaytee is so absorbent it’s not always that noticeable.
If you need to move some stuff around in the cage to check I would do it when he’s in the playpen if you can keep an eye on him in there while you do it.

If he uses the sand & he was peeing on the shelf & in that hide on top of his house there probably won’t be much else to find yet, if he’s not peeing in the new cardboard hide you put there then he’s probably found another spot so you might have to have a bit of a hunt around fairly soon.
It depends where the pee is but you can’t always smell it, kaytee is so absorbent it’s not always that noticeable.
If you need to move some stuff around in the cage to check I would do it when he’s in the playpen if you can keep an eye on him in there while you do it.
Thank you. He is still toileting on the granite tile, this time under his cardboard tube. I scrubbed it this morning so no doubt more wee will be added. :)

Back