• Megazorb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
Just a quick poll to see what everyone is using!

Just bumping this :)

Hey Maz, it may be worth making it multiple selection as some of us may be using a mixture of substrates. I have a mixture of megazorb and carefresh (or fitch).

Oh good point. I just put "something else" for alternatives so people could post what they use. Not quite sure how to add multiple selection and still show what the selection is.

A mixture sounds good too! People can just post replies for that maybe?

I've edited the poll to include a mix of substrates. Then to describe what it is :) . It's mainly for ideas and see what people think and why.

I've also edited it so you can make more than one choice if you use more than one substrate :-). The option is for two choices (if you need more than one selection).

I use quite a bit of sand on the bottom of Rafferty's cage with tea bag bedding on top. I am gradually replacing the tea bag bedding with kaytee clean and cosy but would be happy to use carefresh or fitch.

I have used finacard in the past for part of the cage (syrian hamsters as the pieces are quite big) and also use that brown earth that you can buy in the reptile section of pet shops.

I forgot about tea bag bedding. How do you find it? Good I guess! Assume it's like the other paper beddings like Fitch? Which is similar to Kaytee clean and cosy.

Yes it does seem very similar to fitch but with longer strands. I heard that some people dont like it as it may contain plastic? Rafferty makes some lovely tunnels in his.

As long as you're happy with it. Some people complaint about Fitch having the odd tiny blue bit of paper in! Does no harm. When you say plastic, do you mean bits of plastic or the paper is plasticky os something. Tea bags are paper aren't they? So lovely he builds nice tunnels!

I dont know what they meant about having plastic in it I have not had any problems with it at all.

Probably a historical thing or a different bedding or a one off then. One person said Fitch was too hard or had changed once and suddenly a lot of people were saying that. I've always used it! Well since I first found it. There were a couple of occasions where it was off white instead of white and not so soft but ages ago and they said at the time it depends what they were recycling. It was still fine though.

I have a small bag of Fitch and I do think it is hard. It feels to me like a harder tissue. Maybe I was unlucky and got a bad batch. I love Kaytee but with all the stories of it being dusty it is a concern.

Compared to Kaytee it may feel harder but compared to wood shavings, it's soft :-) They are firmer more defined pieces perhaps but then hamsters like to grab the odd bit like that and take it to their nest. Never know a hamster not to like it :)

That is good to know. I just added a little bit to see what Orko would do but he ignored it.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz
Back