Syrian Bar Biting on cage

He is bound to be a bit stressed after a cage move. I would give him at least 6" of bedding - more if possible :) He'll soon be digging and burrowing. Also after adding the new things, maybe give him chance to adjust for a few days before taking him out. But if he looks desperate to come out and continues to chew at a corner, then maybe let him have a bit of out of cage time anyway.

Does he have a house that's dark inside? One thing that can make them feel stressed and wanting to escape, is if there is no dark place to nest. That would either be deep bedding they can burrow down in, or a house that's dark inside. A shoebox house is fine and if you put a bendy bridge over the door it makes it dark inside (light doesn't go round corners).
Yes, he does have it. He always sleep on his multichamber and hide in the cactus ceramic house. For his room, i barely turn on the light room and keep him in the with low light. I feel i need to provide him more bedding with 6" flat. Hopefully this will satisfy him, i also have a list to buy for next month to buy Tafit forage puzzle to keep entertain him as well the cardboard for DIY too.

Reactions: Maz
Socks was a very keen bar biter when he was younger, but he seems to have grown out of it. Here are some anti bar biting cardboard barriers. They are a bit untidy though. 🪚

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_153943369_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240527_153943369_AE.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3
I know you have recently moved him, so you may need to give him a bit of time, just to settle. Jas didn't stop chewing straight away.
If you are adding chews or small things that should be okay, but try not to change anything that would impact the layout. I know it's hard not to try everything, you are only trying to help them, but they need some time to adjust.
I know it can be difficult, but you need to take the guidance from your hamster, if he wants to come out, he will let you know. I changed some big things in Jas' home and was planning on leaving her alone, but as soon as the door was open for feeding, she would be straight over and wanting her taxi.
I also found that Jas wanted chews in her playpen, she hides them like a prize and chews in private.

Cardboard for the rescue.

Attachments

• 20240527_232540.jpg
    20240527_232540.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240527_232535.jpg
    20240527_232535.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240527_232528.jpg
    20240527_232528.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 2
Th
I know you have recently moved him, so you may need to give him a bit of time, just to settle. Jas didn't stop chewing straight away.
If you are adding chews or small things that should be okay, but try not to change anything that would impact the layout. I know it's hard not to try everything, you are only trying to help them, but they need some time to adjust.
I know it can be difficult, but you need to take the guidance from your hamster, if he wants to come out, he will let you know. I changed some big things in Jas' home and was planning on leaving her alone, but as soon as the door was open for feeding, she would be straight over and wanting her taxi.
I also found that Jas wanted chews in her playpen, she hides them like a prize and chews in private.
Thanks a bunch, Hanks. Since Tako case is similliar with Jas, your experience really helpful. Im sure give him a bit time would be great, im also still observe why he chewing the corner.

Could you put something in that corner so he can't get at it? Eg some kind of toy or cage accessory? Or a ceramic mug under the bedding in that corner?

And the other corner is his litter tray which is i put marble in the bottom of it.

Attachments

• 20240527_235011.jpg
    20240527_235011.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240527_234516.jpg
    20240527_234516.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240527_234510.jpg
    20240527_234510.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 3
Back