The last and final cage

jendanger

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

It’s been ages since I’ve been on here! Hope everyone and their little hamsters are doing well.

Since I’ve been on, I’ve gotten rid of Chubbs original aquarium as it wasn’t big enough. Purchased a paw hut cage that he immediately decided to chew through and I hated it anyhow as it always stunk and didn’t get enough airflow and it was worth the price at all, and now, I have finally gotten him one of those Detolf cabinets. Or at least a similar brand. It’s just over 1000 square inches of space and he is so crazy about it. He’s having an absolute blast. I’m glad to see him be able to run from one end to the next!

Nothing new really with Chubbs aside from the fact that he seems to be peeing more? I don’t know if I’m crazy or not. But his sand potty is usually quite saturated after even one day. I would say he’s drinking about the same amount though it’s honestly hard to tell. He isn’t getting fatter or losing weight so maybe prior to this, he was also peeing elsewhere in the cage? Not really sure but he doesn’t seem at all unhappy. He’s as busy as ever, eats well and is super friendly as he’s always been so maybe I just wasn’t paying as much attention before this.

Work is very busy right now. I’m doing a lot of topsoil which keeps me busy. I also started a Jiu Jitsu class which is so much fun but also hard on the old labourer back so I’m hoping I will be able to still enjoy it if I learn to stretch properly!

Anyhow, hope all is well!!!! Happy to be back!

20E04BDC-34E5-41ED-9291-91A40953CADE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there. Lovely to have an update on Chubbs :-) He looks so cute there sitting in his detolf - he'll love it I'm sure. Naughty boy chewing out of a Pawhut! I think that happens quite a lot though with wood cages like that. I've always found male Syrians pee quite a lot and the sand is pretty much soaked after 2 or 3 days. How old is he now?

Hi there. Lovely to have an update on Chubbs :) He looks so cute there sitting in his detolf - he'll love it I'm sure. Naughty boy chewing out of a Pawhut! I think that happens quite a lot though with wood cages like that. I've always found male Syrians pee quite a lot and the sand is pretty much soaked after 2 or 3 days. How old is he now?
I was trying to figure out how old he is. I think I got him in December of 2023 and they only knew that he was under a year…. So somewhere around the 1 1/2 to two year mark probably? I think I maybe just wasn’t paying much attention to how much he was peeing and also it occurred to me that the new sand holder I got for him is significantly smaller so I bet it just seems like a lot more! Talk about a spoilt little hamster! My mum laughs and says I’m crazy but she loves little Chubbs even tho he’s quite a little terror!

If he's 1.5 to 2 years then he may well be peeing more. It's quite common for that to happen in older Syrians - for them to drink more and pee more. Gradually their kidneys stop functioning so well. But don't worry, my Syrian Raffy is the same and started just before he was two years old and he's two and a half now and still doing fine. Still drinks a lot and pees a lot but very well.

If he's 1.5 to 2 years then he may well be peeing more. It's quite common for that to happen in older Syrians - for them to drink more and pee more. Gradually their kidneys stop functioning so well. But don't worry, my Syrian Raffy is the same and started just before he was two years old and he's two and a half now and still doing fine. Still drinks a lot and pees a lot but very well.
Yes sadly poor Chubbs is practically geriatric! Wish that they lived longer. But yes, he’s still a happy little dude and that’s what matters! And spoiled rotten! He really likes the aspen shavings that came with the cage. I think I’ll see if I can get some more and mix it all. Have to keep him in the life to which he has become accustomed!

• Love
Reactions: Maz
He has a lovely home :-). You’ve done him proud. I’m sure he’d appreciate a bit more substrate in places :) What’s his favourite thing to do in the cage? Apart from wheel running?

He has a lovely home :). You’ve done him proud. I’m sure he’d appreciate a bit more substrate in places :) What’s his favourite thing to do in the cage? Apart from wheel running?
Lately he seems to think he’s oh so smart somehow climbing to the top of his wheel and then just staring at me hahaha and I didn’t have room for his digging box in the wooden cage so he likes having that back now that it fits. Digs in the coconut fibre a lot! I’m going to grab some more bedding tomorrow in town. I thought I had more left than I did! Ooops! He also has this tunnel kinda made of weaved hay that I just got him and he’s mad for that as well. Mostly to destroy it lol I picked up a calcium chew kind of thing the other day but I had to take it away for a bit because he rubbed his nose a bit raw on it because he chewed a straight strip down the middle. I’m glad he was using it tho. And of course he really enjoys his whimzees!

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Oh and I got him some of that soft hay with the assorted flowers too! Lives pulling it into his nest! He eats the flowers aside from the orange ones which he just demolishes and throws everywhere :)

He sounds really happy and such a character :-) That gave some real images - him destroying things 🤣 They don't really need calcium chews so I wouldn't worry about having to take that out - there are other things he can chew :-)

Back