Toby

I was having breakfast this morning when I heard a strange rustling noise coming from Toby's cage, like a plastic bag. I thought maybe I'd left a bag of something on top of the cage and he was trying to pull it through the bars. I went over to the cage, and no, he was actually on top of his cage, stuffing his cheeks in a bag of sprays. At first I was baffled how he could have got out but then I realised I had hooked one side of the door over only one bar. It's a silly mistake as I've known for ages that those cages need to have the door hooked over two bars. I can't think how I missed that, but at least Toby is safe thanks to his greed.

View attachment 5922

Here he is demonstrating how he escaped. I just love the look on his face when he realises I'm there.

His cage really isn't big for him anymore so he's going to be getting a bigger one very soon.
So cute, Oh, I think I forgot something!

I'm having doubts about Toby's sex...

When I first got him he wasn't tame enough to check, but I thought I saw a little bulge around his back end which suggested he was indeed male as Pets at Home said, and it didn't matter anyway. Now I can't see any bulge. He also doesn't have the musty smell which most male dwarfs seem to have. I can see a slit on his belly where his scent gland would be, but I'm finding conflicting information on whether females have scent glands?

He's too wriggly for me to get a good look.

Oh goodness! So Toby maybe Miss Toby?! Do you think he would be ok with a little walk in a decent sized glass box so you could photograph his/her underneath?

Oh goodness! So Toby maybe Miss Toby?! Do you think he would be ok with a little walk in a decent sized glass box so you could photograph his/her underneath?
He'd probably be fine with that, but he's so fluffy underneath, that it's hard to see anything.

That’s a very distinguished look Toby! He does have a lovely coat & colour.

If he is a he that is! I’ve found conflicting info about scent glands too but I’m pretty sure females do have them on the abdomen.

Females have scent glands on their flanks or under the armpits depending on species. Only males have them on their bellies. If you see a slit that's a bit lower and closer to the anus, you might have a girl. Winter whites are easier to tell, they're nearly right in the middle of their torso.

Here's a helpful picture

ham.jpg

Females have scent glands on their flanks or under the armpits depending on species. Only males have them on their bellies. If you see a slit that's a bit lower and closer to the anus, you might have a girl. Winter whites are easier to tell, they're nearly right in the middle of their torso.

Here's a helpful picture

View attachment 6183
Thanks for the photos! I've been able to get a better look, and he definitely looks more like the male photo. I think he's probably male after all.

He's really turning white now. I'll try to get another photo soon.

Back