Toby

Toby has moved into his new cage, though it's not 100% finished.

I mentioned at one point that I was planning to get him a Bucatstate, but I changed my mind and got a Savic Plaza as I felt he benefitted from the interaction through the bars. He's the type of hamster who likes to know what's happening around him.

To increase the bedding depth, I bought mountboard sheets, cut them to size, and tied them to the outside of the cage. They add another 6cm of bedding depth of top of the 15cm deep base.

20240224_163417.jpg
20240224_165205.jpg
He has a new (to him) wheel. This is the 10 inch Niteangel wheel I originally bought for Leo, but he hated it. Fortunately Toby loves it!

This tray at the back is a kind of frame I found in the art section of The Range. I can't remember what it was called. It comes in bigger sizes too. It's too shallow for a main sand bath, but I have sealed the bottom and I'm going to use it to provide some other substrate like coconut coir or dried leaves. I don't have anything to put it in just yet. I'm going to use the remaining mountboard to make some walls for this corner so the substrate doesn't get kicked out.

20240224_163641.jpg
He still has his main sand bowl which is deeper. It's in the middle of the cage right now, because I'm waiting for a new shelf to go in the back right corner. The sand bath will go on that new shelf, and then the Trixie shelf that is there right now will be moved to the front right corner, above the flying saucer, although I might get rid of the flying saucer. In Toby's old cage, the wheel and the saucer were next to each other and he used to alternate between them. Now that they are at opposite ends of the cage, he seems to only use the wheel.
20240224_163017.jpg
I also need to get some other general stuff to fill gaps in the floorspace and use the cage's height (perhaps some hanging tunnels), but I can add those as and when I find things. Toby is quite laid back about change nowadays.

He has a second multichamber house at the bottom of the cage under all the bedding, and that's where he sleeps. The Getzoo one in the middle of the cage seems to function just as a portal to his underground world!

I’m sure Toby is going to love his upgrade & enjoy still having the bars to interact through & be able to sense more of what’s going on around him.
Really like all your ideas for the cage & love Toby’s portal to the underground world!

Toby has moved into his new cage, though it's not 100% finished.

I mentioned at one point that I was planning to get him a Bucatstate, but I changed my mind and got a Savic Plaza as I felt he benefitted from the interaction through the bars. He's the type of hamster who likes to know what's happening around him.

To increase the bedding depth, I bought mountboard sheets, cut them to size, and tied them to the outside of the cage. They add another 6cm of bedding depth of top of the 15cm deep base.

View attachment 6252
View attachment 6255
He has a new (to him) wheel. This is the 10 inch Niteangel wheel I originally bought for Leo, but he hated it. Fortunately Toby loves it!

This tray at the back is a kind of frame I found in the art section of The Range. I can't remember what it was called. It comes in bigger sizes too. It's too shallow for a main sand bath, but I have sealed the bottom and I'm going to use it to provide some other substrate like coconut coir or dried leaves. I don't have anything to put it in just yet. I'm going to use the remaining mountboard to make some walls for this corner so the substrate doesn't get kicked out.

View attachment 6253
He still has his main sand bowl which is deeper. It's in the middle of the cage right now, because I'm waiting for a new shelf to go in the back right corner. The sand bath will go on that new shelf, and then the Trixie shelf that is there right now will be moved to the front right corner, above the flying saucer, although I might get rid of the flying saucer. In Toby's old cage, the wheel and the saucer were next to each other and he used to alternate between them. Now that they are at opposite ends of the cage, he seems to only use the wheel.
View attachment 6254
I also need to get some other general stuff to fill gaps in the floorspace and use the cage's height (perhaps some hanging tunnels), but I can add those as and when I find things. Toby is quite laid back about change nowadays.

He has a second multichamber house at the bottom of the cage under all the bedding, and that's where he sleeps. The Getzoo one in the middle of the cage seems to function just as a portal to his underground world!
You understand him so well. His fortunes changed for the better the day you came along!

It looks great :). He’ll love it. I’ve usually had the cardboard inside the bars - so interested to know why you decided to have it outside the bars. Although either way substrate can fall out if you take the top off! But it’s easy enough to scoop out first.

The tray in the corner is very clever.

It looks great :). He’ll love it. I’ve usually had the cardboard inside the bars - so interested to know why you decided to have it outside the bars. Although either way substrate can fall out if you take the top off! But it’s easy enough to scoop out first.

The tray in the corner is very clever.
I found the cardboard was easier to tie on when it was on the outside, and the rim of the cage base stops it from slipping down.

Ah that's a good reason! Yes it probably is easier! The last time I added cardboard I attached it to the bars when they were off the cage and had the bars on the floor. It didn't occur to me to attach it to the outside :-) However it's less likely to get chewed on the outside I would think - Raffy chewed all his off in about two days!

Ah that's a good reason! Yes it probably is easier! The last time I added cardboard I attached it to the bars when they were off the cage and had the bars on the floor. It didn't occur to me to attach it to the outside :) However it's less likely to get chewed on the outside I would think - Raffy chewed all his off in about two days!
I was worried about chewing too, although Toby isn't much of a chewer.

I've just read through the whole thread to catch up and can I just say how enjoyable it was! It was so amazing to see how things have been progressing with Toby. Although it didn't take much time even from the beginning, seems like you're a match made in heaven! So glad you found each other and Toby is a darling boy ❤️

Now that Toby has a Niteangel wheel, I can see how far he runs. He ran over 8 miles last night! A mile on this wheel is 2010 rotations.

20240228_190516.jpg

Please excuse the state of the wheel. Toby does like to make his wheel disgusting, so that it needs cleaning every couple of days.

Back