Tried and tasted.

Fantastic - making me hungry :-)

I can feel a baking thread coming on now! Human baking as well as hamster baking. Although I don't do as much these days - just on the occasional birthday usually. Most of my life I was a useless cake baker. Just wasn't me. I would feel very anxious when I had to make a special cake (partner's son) - but I had to look up ideas and try things year after year and practice makes perfect! I also found it's easier than it used to be! There are much easier recipes than the old fashioned ones. I discovered buttermilk! Mainly from US recipes. It kind of makes things light and fluffy like an additional raising agent. It means having to get some from the supermarket but if I have some and it needs milk in a cake I used buttermilk instead.

Seeing the pancakes reminded me - buttermilk pancakes are nice too :) I have no idea if buttermilk is any good for hamster pancakes though.

Buttermilk is something we used all the time where i come from which is Bavaria.
I never liked it and found it too heavy. I don't know but i wouldn't have thought it to be suitable for hamsters.

I think so too - ie probably not suitable for hamsters. I think it's just a kind of fermented milk but dairy isn't good for hamsters really anyway - the odd tiny bit is ok. It does help cakes rise though and makes them fluffy!

Last edited:
Really must have a go at your pancake recipe though! I looks very healthy for humans too! I just noticed there's no flour in the recipe too - so technically gluten free?

I'm not sure. It's from a Mindful Chef booklet. You should be able to find that info on their website.

I must add my other recipe as well.
Just now Rodney is chirping full blast because i cleaned his house......

Aw Rodney! He will be expecting a treat I should think.

Just noticed an overly ripe banana and decided to use it up in:
Oaties

1 ripe banana without skin
1 egg
Porridge oats
Optionals like raisins,
and/or ground or chopped nuts

1. weigh one banana and mash it in a bowl
2. add 1 whisked egg
3. add porridge oats
(weight of banana + 30g)
4. add whatever you like that is hamster friendly
5. mix it all up
6. line a baking tray with baking paper,
place little dollops of the mixture on it
and bake till set at 160C, takes around
10/15 mins.

20221111_160925.jpg

I baked Oaties just now. My peeled banana weighed 100g so the weight of the porridge oats was 130g.
I added some raisins, a couple of teaspoons of ground almonds and a teaspoon of chopped hazelnuts.

All the hamsters got a little piece of Oatie.
Robo Scottie grabbed his and run into his tube with it.

I baked Oaties just now. My peeled banana weighed 100g so the weight of the porridge oats was 130g.
I added some raisins, a couple of teaspoons of ground almonds and a teaspoon of chopped hazelnuts.

All the hamsters got a little piece of Oatie.
Robo Scottie grabbed his and run into his tube with it.
That is adorable!

Ooh lovely. I want one myself :) Lucky hamsters.

Back