Water bottle ideas

Member ID2

Former Member
Reaction score
In a tank style cage there's sometimes no place to attach a bottle securely but there are many ways to get round this.

I think that a platform or flat roofed house is an essential in a tank. I use the inexpensive Ferplast sin guinea pig houses (cover the holes when used for a dwarf) and leave the front panel off when i only need a platform. I plastikote the roof to waterproof it.

I then have an even surface to place a bottle stand on and a bowl as well.

Here's a diy bottle holder for a dwarf. A small bottle with the top cut off to fit a 75ml classic bottle, a hole for the spout and weighed down with marbles.

20221114_132630.jpg

When making a bin cage, cut out a small panel and attach a cut to size, barred panel from a free small ads cage.
I have cages for spares so if anybody needs a small panel, i'd be happy to post it for postage.

20221114_134644.jpg

Excellent - maybe there are a few more bottle holder ideas to add if people have any. I've done the water bottle with stones in the bottom before - I found it fiddly cutting the hole for the spout so as not to have sharp edges but managed it.

Industrial strength velcro is good in tanks as well - it's usually not accessible for chewing if it's behind the bottle.

The easiest one is to use a kitchen roll tube. Simply place it where you want it and push into the substrate, fill up to the required height with substrate, make a spouthole and put a 75ml classic bottle in. Flat smooth stones (to big to pouch) around it will keep it in place and catch any water drops.

They definitely need something flat and solid to stand on - I tried one on the substrate once and it just kept falling over. Even my expensive wood one kept falling over!

Back