Water bowl or drinking bottle

Gizmo

Reaction score
Hi guys.Would like to hear your opinions here which do you think is better for Syrian hammy, bottle or bowl. I am afraid my Django will be struggling getting water from the bottle as it dispensing only tiny drops while bowl has opened water resource.

I use a bottle - but it needs to be a good bottle that lets water out easily but also doesn't drip a lot. A lot of people use bowls now but it needs to be really small and shallow - the ikea tealight holders fit that description. I'd suggest using both. He will probably use both. If you use a bowl also, it could do to be on a shelf or platform so it doesn't get bedding in it and get soiled. A corner or one end of a platform is a good place then he's not likely to walk in it. With a bowl, it needs washing out and refilling every day. With a bottle you check it has water in daily and tap your finger on the end of the spout daily to check water is coming out ok and change the water every two days usually.

I use a bottle - but it needs to be a good bottle that lets water out easily but also doesn't drip a lot. A lot of people use bowls now but it needs to be really small and shallow - the ikea tealight holders fit that description. I'd suggest using both. He will probably use both. If you use a bowl also, it could do to be on a shelf or platform so it doesn't get bedding in it and get soiled. A corner or one end of a platform is a good place then he's not likely to walk in it. With a bowl, it needs washing out and refilling every day. With a bottle you check it has water in daily and tap your finger on the end of the spout daily to check water is coming out ok and change the water every two days usually.
Thanks for such detailed reply 🙂

I also use both. The Niteangel water bowls are brilliant as they have a peak in the middle of the bowl to prevent a hamster from trying to sit inside it.

I also think it is important to have two sources of water available at all times.

Small water bowl
There is nothing easier than a small water bowl
You need to change it more regulary but the effort is so small that it doesn't matter
And the most important thing: it doesn't make sound so he can drink all he want while im sleeping
Such a game changer

Our Syrian never used his water bowl so I took it away in the end. He has two water bottles either side of his cage. He uses both but prefers the one closer to his nest. I have them lifted up fairly high with cardboard weaved through his bars so he can reach them with ease at his head height, no bending down to drink if that makes sense 👍

Back