Weight

Lorena

Reaction score
How much need to weight a Russian dwarf hamster to be healthy?

Attachments

• 3EC3B376-AC44-4463-9A27-83A70576AAB8.jpeg
    3EC3B376-AC44-4463-9A27-83A70576AAB8.jpeg
    830.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 0BFE368D-915A-4BFE-9922-EBBDC39C4069.jpeg
    0BFE368D-915A-4BFE-9922-EBBDC39C4069.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 4
I love those pictures of Sweetie! Have you tried to weigh her? She looks a good weight to me. :)

I never weight her but I’ll try later on and post her weight. I give her few treats when I pick her up to play but I give her good mixes food and fresh veggies and fruits every week.

Thank you, she is cute 🥰

I never weight her but I’ll try later on and post her weight. I give her few treats when I pick her up to play but I give her good mixes food and fresh veggies and fruits every week.

Thank you, she is cute 🥰
Did you know with dwarf hamsters it is best not to feed fruit? They can get diabetes so it is better to avoid fruit with them. This link will give you more information on safe food for Sweetie. :)

She looks very healthy and a good weight. I think it's fine to just weigh them occasionally if they seem healthy to check for any major fluctuations in weight. If it varies by a few grammes it's not that much of an issue, but if it's a drop of 5 to 10 grammes in weight, that is quite a lot for a small hamster that maybe only weighs about 45grammes usually. The weight checking is usually to gauge if there is any illness going on. Personally I only do it if they don't seem healthy, but will occasionally do a weight check. It's good to know what their usual weight is, so if they look like they have lost weight, you can see how much by, when you check.

Do you have a set of those flat electronic digital scales? That is the easiest way (although any scales will do). With the flat electronic ones, I put them on a hard surface (eg a table or a book on the floor) - they need to be on a hard flat surface to read correctly. Then I zero them. Then put a smelly treat in the middle (eg a piece of cucumber) and zero them again. The hamster just walks on to get the cucumber and you can read their weight (the cucumber doesn't add to their weight because you zero'd the scales after adding the cucumber).

With other types of scales you'd need to pop the hamster into the container on top temporarily :)

But she looks healthy and rather gorgeous!

Have you seen the advent calendar?

She looks very healthy and a good weight. I think it's fine to just weigh them occasionally if they seem healthy to check for any major fluctuations in weight. If it varies by a few grammes it's not that much of an issue, but if it's a drop of 5 to 10 grammes in weight, that is quite a lot for a small hamster that maybe only weighs about 45grammes usually. The weight checking is usually to gauge if there is any illness going on. Personally I only do it if they don't seem healthy, but will occasionally do a weight check. It's good to know what their usual weight is, so if they look like they have lost weight, you can see how much by, when you check.

Do you have a set of those flat electronic digital scales? That is the easiest way (although any scales will do). With the flat electronic ones, I put them on a hard surface (eg a table or a book on the floor) - they need to be on a hard flat surface to read correctly. Then I zero them. Then put a smelly treat in the middle (eg a piece of cucumber) and zero them again. The hamster just walks on to get the cucumber and you can read their weight (the cucumber doesn't add to their weight because you zero'd the scales after adding the cucumber).

With other types of scales you'd need to pop the hamster into the container on top temporarily :)

But she looks healthy and rather gorgeous!

Have you seen the advent calendar?
Thank you for the tip!
No, I have t see the advent calendar. I’m going to check it ♥️

Reactions: Maz
Like humans, hamsters come in different shapes and sizes so their weights vary as well.
I'd weigh her and write her weight down then weigh her again in a few weeks unless you think she's losing weight. That will be a guide to go by.

Your little hamster looks healthy, very cute and alert and she's a typical, small and round dwarf hamster. They are little puddings and that's what i love about them.

Back