What could be wrong?

Veer

Reaction score
I have a counter on my running wheel and the number of laps that Hammie runs varies and is often between 8000 and 12000. She has been less active in recent days. Only around 800 rounds per 24 hours and last night only 200. I also have a cam in the enclosure and barely saw her last night. This morning she woke up for a moment and I saw her licking the glasswall from her enclosure. What could be wrong with her?

It has been particularly cold recently (snowing here) - is it very cold where you are? My Syrian sometimes stays in his bed more at night when it's cold :-)

Outside it is (nights around -10 degrees and days between -5 en 5 degrees) so not very cold.
In her room it stays around 19 degrees all the time.
Her bottle is working, i check it daily.
I doe see her in her foodbowl and see her drink. She just seems to prefer to stay under the bedding since recently. I don't know why.
Why does she lick the glass? Is it a stress sign?

I know what you mean - even though the room my syrian is in stays a reasonable temperature, he still seems to sense it's colder somehow! And uses the wheel less. I'd just keep an eye on it. She may have some nights where she uses it more than others. Assume you've checked the wheel is spinning ok? Sometimes it gets jammed with bedding if they dig underneath :)

Outside it is (nights around -10 degrees and days between -5 en 5 degrees) so not very cold.
In her room it stays around 19 degrees all the time.
Her bottle is working, i check it daily.
I doe see her in her foodbowl and see her drink. She just seems to prefer to stay under the bedding since recently. I don't know why.
Why does she lick the glass? Is it a stress sign?
If she is stressed I would think she would be running up and down. She is eating and drinking which are very good signs.

Last night my hamster was not as active as usual and he went to bed very early too. Despite our homes being warm I think they can sense the seasonal changes.

The wheel is working, i checked it already.
Will keep an eye on her, maybe some extra nesting mayerial an food to hoard will help her.
Maybe the do sense the cold and snow outside....

I agree that it is most likely the cold & time of year, even when the room is a good temperature they often seem to sense & are less active in winter.
If she’s eating & drinking then I wouldn’t think that anything is wrong.
Not sure why she would lick the glass unless maybe there’s a bit of condensation on it but I have seen other hams do it sometimes & don’t think it indicates any kind of stress or problem.

Back