Wheel Running Concern

Zenshii

Reaction score
Hello! I'm an inexperienced hamster owner. I just got my first hamster yesterday, his name is Dango and he is a Winter White Dwarf ( most likely a hybrid. )

He has been running on his wheel at night, which I'm happy to see since I only just brought him home yesterday. ( I am glad he seems somewhat comfortable. ) I have a Furbo camera set up with night-vision so I can watch him on my phone and not disturb him while he's settling in.

I've noticed while he is running on his wheel he kind of flies up a bit sometimes, like he is going to lose control and spin around, but he does stop himself and then he just keeps going.

Is this normal? I've never had a hamster before so I'm not sure. Is his wheel too small? Too big? Could any of his paws be injured? Is there anything I can do to make his running more comfortable? He has a Niteangel 9½ inch wheel. I am posting a gif of him running so you can see what I mean!

20230416_022049.gif

He looks ok, it can be a bit scary when you see them starting to use the wheel & they do even fly out sometimes so make sure there’s nothing hard to land on just in case, they usually get the hang of it pretty quick so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I personally think he may be suited to a bigger wheel just so he can have more control of it. This is nothing to worry about and he does not look injured.

I can’t really see what size the wheel is but that’s a good point, what size do you have Zenshii? Russians do best with an 8 or 9” wheel.

Thank you both for your quick reply! I'm glad he looks okay for the most part. He has a wheel that is about 9½ inches. Would getting him a bigger one be best? I would certainly do that if it would benefit him and make it easier for him to run!

That size should be ok for him, my Russians have had no problem with a wheel that size.

Reactions: Maz
You could try the next size up just to see if that helps but it really is nothing to worry about.

Oh okay! I'm glad to hear that. Maybe he is just getting used to it? I think when he was at the rescue he had a saucer wheel, so he might not be used to a proper wheel. With wheels is it a thing where bigger is better? For example, if I did get him a bigger wheel would he benefit any more from it vs his current wheel? Or would that matter too much?

Thank you for answering my questions! This helps so much!

Yes he's just getting used to it :-) It's perfectly normal at first! You should see Robos - they go right round until they get used to it! Once they're used to it they have more control. He seems to be loving it! 9.5 inches is a great size for a Russian dwarf. They can run in bigger wheels but I see no reason to change the wheel.

Aw, as he has never had a wheel then it makes sense he has to get used to it. With wheels I would not say bigger is better. The important thing is a hamsters back is not curved and Dango's back is not curved when he is running so his wheel is fine.

I suspect it is a very free spinning wheel that doesn't stop when they stop running momentarily, which is why this happens. My Syrian was exactly the same with his wheel at first but he has the hang of it now. Sometimes he stops and just sits and rocks in it. See how it goes though. If it doesn't settle down then something with a cork surface can give more grip but it probably will settle down.

My dwarfs have 9in wheels and get on with them fine. In fact, one of my dwarfs had a 10in wheel to begin with he didn't get on with. That's a good wheel you have and should be the right size for a dwarf. Keep in mind that he is new to the wheel and may be a little over excited. He'll slow down once the novelty wears off a bit.
Btw, Dango is super cute.

Thank you all so much! And thank you for saying Dango is cute! That makes me so happy. Everyone is so kind here.

Thank you for all these suggestions and opinions! It really helps to hear from people who are more experienced with hammy care. I decided to get a wheel with the cork track just in case! I think it might be better for his paws anyway? I'm not sure.

Screenshot_20230416_031250_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Albert was a bit like that when he started using a wheel. It's a bit like us learning to ride a bike. Albert is now a professional wheel runner. Give it time. 🐹🛞💕

You can get that wheel and there is also the cloud series Niteangel do that have a cork track too. I use those for my robo hamster and he loves them. Just bare in mind some hamsters pee on their wheel. :)

The cork wheels are nice but the one he has looks fine, I would give him time to settle in & see how he gets on before you think about changing anything.

RainbowBrite - Thank you!! That's good to know. I'm going to check out the wheel you suggested right now! I haven't noticed Dango peeing on his wheel luckily, but I haven't had him long at all, so we will see I guess!

elusive - Oh....that's true...Hamsters don't like change in their enclosure too much right? Okay maybe I will wait then, and the cork one could be an option if he doesn't take to his current wheel. Thank you for mentioning that!

I only use plastic wheels because both my Robos, one dwarf, one Syrian and the foster Syrian pee in and heavily scent their wheels.
Only dwarf Lilly and Syrian Clive don't pee in their wheels.

I'd give Dango more time to settle and get used to his wheel.
If you are still worried in a couple of weeks or so then i would suggest to look into getting an enclosed wheel like the Niteangel Cloud or the 9in Silent Runner (not Spinner).

It is very early days though. Usually, hamsters are all excited and busy the first day or two, then they often go underground for a week or two and we don't see them much before they surface and start to make contact with us, establish routines and build a life for themselves. Doesn't always happen in that order because they are all so different.

There is a thread on here about wheels.

Back