where to find natural/wood decor for enclosure?

saramolloy

Reaction score
hey guys, i’m currently trying to decorate my enclosure following a forest/natural theme.

anyone know where i can find this kind of wood decor (branches, hideouts, logs etc) especially the moss?

i have a detolf for cage size reference.

i’m new to lots of decor and theme in a cage, so i’m unfamiliar with where to get all these things.

i was thinking fish decor? but i’m just worried the paint could be chewed off. if anyone knows an alternative or suggestion, it’d be much appreciated :)
IMG_9142.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9143.jpeg
    IMG_9143.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9144.jpeg
    IMG_9144.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9145.jpeg
    IMG_9145.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm wondering if those set ups have deep enough substrate for burrowing, at least on one side.
Here's a detolf for a dwarf with plenty of burrowing scope.
IMG-20220124-WA0010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only moss for rodents i've ever come across was the one from Rodipet.

The one from the reptile shop is too damp but reptile shops are good places to look for the kind of things you want. Cork logs, different substrates, branches, hides etc can all be found there.

I'd be careful with aquarium items because they can have sharp edges and most are made from resin. I don't know if hamsters would chew resin though. Aquarium shops are good places to look though. I get pebbles there.

I agree with Beryl that the deeper substrate is more important than the overall look but you can still have a natural look. You start with things like the cork log on that photo and a branch. You can get branches from reptile shops usually. I'm not a big fan of moss - it looks nice but it can be damp - as forest floors are! But you could add lots of sprays to make it look natural.

Then it might look something like this. I can't see how deep the substrate is on this one as it's from the top. The one Beryl linked is a good example. As the branches are heavier items they would need to be supported on something on top of deep substrate. You could have one end supported on a house and another end on top of another hide eg at a different level.

Back