Windsor cage?

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
I haven't seen this one before - on Little Petwarehouse. It's a good size but looks like it needs some adaptations. Also the bar spacing is 1.1cm (which should be ok for Syrians as that's still less than half an inch). But about 1.8cm at the corners and round the top edge (so that would need meshing or cable tying at the corners).

It looks to have a mesh floor too which would either need taking out or covering. And the base isn't very deep so would probably need something round the inside bars.

But it has a front opening door and a big top door and is 100cm wide, 65cm deep and 66cm tall. This is very tall so it would definitely need deep bedding and/or a full level to make it safe.

It's about the same price as the new Plaza 120. Which is bigger and doesn't need adaptations. But cheaper than the Ferplast Criceti 100.

That's an odd looking cage that tapers a lot. I wonder what the measurements of the base are.

Not sure what you mean by taper and second picture? The base is 100cm x 65cm. But not particularly tall by the look of it so it would need some adjustments. It is odd looking - but it's also on wheels! It would be quite a bit of hassle dealing with the larger gaps at corners and round the roof area.

I think that's partly the angle of the photo. The second one, the base is straight at the top and above floor level, but underneath that are trays for emptying bedding (it seems to have a grid floor by the sound of it) so the tapering but seems to be under the floor area where the trays are. The trays would be useless with plenty of bedding inside. Almost a bird cage type thing.

Third photo shows the floor, which is awful! And either the holey floor needs taking out, or covering with something solid.

Fourth photo you can see the larger gaps at the side - they don't look to difficult to sort out actually and cover or mesh those gaps.

The floor is strange. I can't see the purpose of a grit for a rodent who could get toes trapped when digging. Would be interesting to hear their reasoning behind it.

Yes, i saw the gaps. I don't think i'd house a hamster in it. It's too high for a start. It's not big enough for rats, chinchillas or degus though so wonder which rodent it's meant to house.

It's intended for rats, ferrets and chinchillas apparently.

The only thing with that big front door though is it looks like it hinges at the bottom, quite low down, so putting perspex in for a decent bedding depth would probably mean the door wouldn't open! So then it would need lower bedding depth at the front.

It would need deep bedding to reduce the height. Or - 6" plus of bedding and a full level.

Looking at it again, the door is hinged - to fold down outwards so I think it would still open easily, even if there was a bedding panel in front of it. It would just effectively reduce the height of the door to a degree but it does look like a pretty big door.

The base is definitely strange and it does need something solid on the inner floor, but it's a large cage and on wheels. Not sure what you could cover the floor with. Cardboard could be chewed away so it would probably need to be wood or plastic cut to size.

Back