Wooden cages?

I am so happy for you! It really was meant to be. 🙂
I just hope it all goes through okay now, I am panicking that they will say I haven't done or got this that or the other - but I have put on the form I am happy to buy anything needed, and I have spent a fair bit of time researching over the past couple of weeks to make sure I am as clued up as I can be on any changes/new info from when I last had a hamster 🥰 🤞

I just hope it all goes through okay now, I am panicking that they will say I haven't done or got this that or the other - but I have put on the form I am happy to buy anything needed, and I have spent a fair bit of time researching over the past couple of weeks to make sure I am as clued up as I can be on any changes/new info from when I last had a hamster 🥰 🤞
They may have a care guide so you just need to tick off the items on that. The fact you are willing to learn and are letting them know is lovely. I am sure they will be very happy for you to adopt the hamster. :)

I adopted a hamster on Saturday and I too was nervous and felt like I had to pass a test. I know how you are feeling. :)

I can’t see them saying no, I’m sure they’ll appreciate all the thought &n preperation you’ve put into thiss & will be likely to give some advice rather than say no if something isn’t quite right.

That's great you've decided on a hamster and a cage :) Usually they just want to see it set up to know it looks suitable but when I've done that before, I've sent a photo with it partly set up and explained what I'm going to add and they're fine with it. I think they really just like to see you've actually got a good sized cage and enough bedding and the right sized wheel plus a few other bits.

I use a multiroom house in that cage - but that can be an added expense. It does double up as another platform though and hamsters really like them. Or you could just make a shoebox house.

I'm not sure if you saw the message earlier, but Scallywags said she would be in her shop tomorrow to give a price on the wood cage and they can ship it flat pack by courier. I'm not sure why she needs to actually be in the shop to know how much it costs, but I'd be interested to know anyway!

From my perspective as someone who rescues and rehomes you have a lot in your favour which the rescue will be able to see.

Did you have to fill in an application form?
I did. They are happy for me to have him! 🥹 They said they loved my form!

His foster said he is so lovely she thought about keeping him 🥰 but if he gets a good home she can help more (aren’t fosterers special people! I would get too attached!!) I am just waiting on her to get back to me about transport as I can’t drive too far still… but hopefully soon he will be here and I can properly introduce him! ❤️

That's wonderful news, for you and the lucky hamster! It really made my day to hear of another, once unwanted hamster find a loving forever home.

Did you go for the Plaza in the end?
Yes I did. The foster is happy it will be fine for him, and it's easy for me to get hold of quickly and set up.

I do hope in time that I will persuade hubby to have a complete switch-around of my room furniture as I think I might *just* be able to squeeze in the 115cm version of the wooden one I first posted about! Might have to put it on a base with wheels so I can move it slightly to get to some storage/shelves, but an initial measurement looked fairly favourable.... I won't worry about that for this older hamster though, I think I can provide him plenty of space in the Plaza with a playpen attached - he is very easy to handle so he will be able to have plenty of out of cage time every day 🥰

I had the same problem not having anywhere to site a cage so I got rid if one item of furniture measured for a custom made contiboard unit exact size of cage to go in place and B&Q cut the board to exact sizes that and some fixing blocks made a really good sturdy unit and very reasonable cost maybe you could site it under the shelf you thought about putting the cage onto. P.s o/h made up the unit trust me it was easy😀

Well I've had the same issue as you with enquiring about the wooden cage. Said she would get back today with a price and didn't! So you're probably best sticking with the Plaza and cardboard :) He will love it.

Back