Working on my playpen for Dusty

Dusty's Mom

Reaction score
I have gotten all the supplies to make Dusty's play pen area and I need suggestions to make it better or safer for Dusty. I really have no idea what Dusty would like
in a playpen area. Here are a couple of pics of it.
Here it is on the table and with the cardboard flooring.
playpen1.jpg
Here I just put some of my left over supplies in it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Playpen2.jpg

It looks great :-) Check the gaps where the side struts are, if there are any. One owner had a robo who got out between the small gap where the upright struts joined, but it might have been a different style of songmix playpen as I can't see any gaps on yours, on the photo.

Do you have a spare wheel or flying saucer? I would maybe add one of those, but don't take them from the cage if you don't have a spare one as that will bother him as it belongs in the cage! I'd maybe add a little pile of food somewhere or a trail of treats and a chew stick perhaps. If he's a bit scared the first time, he might just sit in one of the tunnels and not come out, but see how it goes! My last robo sat in a hide and squawked the first time in a playpen. Then he explored it and got used to it and after that he was keen to go in it again.

I have 2 wheels both slightly different so it's a bit of variation when in the playpen also Pete loves his little fabric cosy hide to nap in and recover from his playground activities it's only in use in the playpen where I would know straight away if he started to chew but so far hasn't even thought about doing that. Your set up looks great by the way 👍🙂

It looks great :-) Check the gaps where the side struts are, if there are any. One owner had a robo who got out between the small gap where the upright struts joined, but it might have been a different style of songmix playpen as I can't see any gaps on yours, on the photo.

Do you have a spare wheel or flying saucer? I would maybe add one of those, but don't take them from the cage if you don't have a spare one as that will bother him as it belongs in the cage! I'd maybe add a little pile of food somewhere or a trail of treats and a chew stick perhaps. If he's a bit scared the first time, he might just sit in one of the tunnels and not come out, but see how it goes! My last robo sat in a hide and squawked the first time in a playpen. Then he explored it and got used to it and after that he was keen to go in it again.
You are right about the spaces between the panels. They are extremely small on this model. About 1/8inch or smaller. I do not think he can get out that way. I do have another wheel, but it is the first one I got for him and I don't know if it would be too small or not. It is an 8 inch wheel.
As you have probably seen the video when he was in the playpen already, he was not timid at all! :)

Reactions: Maz
An 8" wheel would be fine for occasional use. It's not a bad size anyway for a robo.

Back