3 room house vs 1 room house and separate toilet?

It does sound a bit complicated :-) Yes some of them sell stilts that fit the houses. Or you can just glue wood dowels to the house - although the good pet safe glue is a bit expensive. The rodipet ones only sell 15cm stilts. Happy Henry Homes sells them in various different lengths. Not sure if Getzoo does or not. A cardboard one doesn't need any legs/stilts as it's lightweight :)

With deeper bedding - even if it's only 6 or 8", heavier things need supporting underneath in case the hamster tunnels under them.

As Rainbow said it’s best to use stilts, much safer as the house can be quite heavy just on top of substrate.
I just buy dowels the length I want them glue them, it’s not too hard so don’t worry.
I use Ponal express which is a good strong non toxic glue that dries fairly quickly but there are other glues you can use too.

BUCATSTATE Hamster Hideout 3-Chamber, Acrylic Transparent Hamster House Multi-Room Hut & Habitats with Window for Syrian Dwarf Hamster, Gerbils, Degus https://amzn.eu/d/bQn2U6A

Firstly, just wanted to say thanks for all being so lovely and helpful.
Can I use get your opinion on the above.... not good because it's transparent? I like the idea of being able to see the hamster inside but not if it upsets him. I'd rather pick what's best for him.

Hmm - yes I think the point of a multiroom house is that it's dark inside. I think a clear one they would investigate as a tunnel type thing but not sleep or nest in probably.

I agree, I think transparent hamster items are more for the human then the hamster. :)

I still recommend Getzoo and Rodipet multi chamber hides. :)

Or a cardboard one :)

Back