A week in the life of my hamsters - February

Member ID2

Former Member
Reaction score
I woke up at work but finish at 09.00 with a busy day ahead.
Eddie's shy and scared brother Bobbi is moving to an experienced fosterer today who is very good at rehabilitating hamsters to give them the confidence they need to live a happy life.
I have the love to give but feel that i don't have enough time left to really help this little boy.
He's been hiding since the first initial exploration of his temporary home but has been eating and making a nest. I had to take the roof off his house very briefly before leaving for work yesterday to make sure that he's alive and well. Bobbi immediately took on a defence stance and didn't move, just stared at me.
I am very grateful to the fosterer to take him on and will make a little donation of items on her wishlist.

It is lovely little Bobbi is going to be in a foster home. I can see what you mean by him needing lots of one on one time but it is thanks to you that he is safe and is going to end up in a wonderful forever home.

Not sure i explained that properly with the wishlist because fosterers don't ask for anything.

Rescues have a website and some have a fosterers wishlist with Amazon links displayed where people have the option to donate hamster items if they wish to.

I’m sure this is going to be a very interesting week!

Good to hear little Bobbi is going to someone who has the time & experience to help him gain confidence & adjust to a new happy life. I always have a soft spot for the shy ones but also know how much time it can take to help them & you certainly have your hands full with your crew!

I like to keep the ones with issues but know my limits timewise.
Had my morning hamster text from my OH earlier confirming that hamsters have been fed and now i'm feeding myself with an omelette roll, ready for the day.

Day 1:

Jack's eating a porridge sandwich.

I haven't seen any more dodgy poops and will observe him tonight. If i can't see anything that justifies keeping the vet appointment on Monday, i'll cancel it. I still think that something isn't quite right but could be a natural, age related decline rather than an ailment.

20230218_104638.jpg

Just got Bobbi ready to go to his foster home. I always make sure a hamster leaves this house in a transport box with some of their substrate, especially their nests, any chews, millets etc goes with them as well and food scattered about for the journey.

20230218_111717.jpg20230218_112111.jpg

Lovely photo of Jack, hope he continues to be ok & doesn’t need the vet.

Bobbi looks very comfy in there & I’m sure he’ll appreciate having his familiar things.

I made a start with Eddie's Hamster Heaven but haven't got very far yet.
I gave it a good wash and scrub in the bath and disinfected it.
I start with the wheel which needs to be accessible for me in case i have to tighten or wipe it. Not sure yet about the set up but it usually kind of comes together
Added substrate and started adding things to it. Need to make a side door for Eddie's house now using a spare panel so i don't have to chuck him out of his housefor it.
I put him in the HH briefly for a sniff around yesterday as he was out of his cage anyway.

20230217_120359.jpg

Lilly seems to happy with her treat to sulk with you. :)

Great job you did! You are so creative.

Lovely start to the week with all your hamster updates :) I am sure little Bobbi will put some weight on and go to a good home. You are definitely very creative!

Belated intro:
All our hamsters are rescues of varying ages. They have their own personal threads.

Finley - male Roborovski
Bernard - male Roborovski

Jack - male Syrian
Clive - male Syrian

Lilly - female dwarf hybrid
Eddie - male dwarf hybrid

Back