August Thread- 6 piggies and 3 dogs

Let me show off my parsely anyway (with little dandelions and barley grass grown from some of Socks' dry food

Attachments

• IMG_20240826_123138863_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240826_123138863_AE.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240826_123144381_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240826_123144381_AE.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2
If people ask me what I am growing in my window box, I have been careful not to reply "dandelions" as it sounds a bit cheeky. I'm keen on them though, I love their yellow flowers and blow away seeds!

I bet Socks would enjoy your sunflowers as well :) Although I believe guinea pigs can't have those.

Riven, I love that you grow cucumbers! With vegetable gardening you need to keep on top of things - I've never had much success but did manage some carrots and beetroot one year.

I'm glad you asked after my sunflowers 🌻 they produced nice flowers, but the seeds were tiny. Socks took no interest in them, not even a nibble. I have planted some more in the pot and there is a new crop growing which should flower again soon. They are nice to see! I've had lots of success with marigolds and have just planted some lavender.

Day 4
I had a bad day yesterday hence the lack of posting. I could hardly walk despite taking painkillers and antiinflammatories.

Started the day off early as usual and fed everyone. Gizmo had his worming treatment without a hassle. Probably thought it was a treat if I'm honest.

He seems to have taken the jab quite well. His last one will be due at the end of September and Pebbles will be due her booster around then so hopefully we can get them both seen together. Pebbles will need to have a medicine review at the same time to ensure the eye drops are still working.

The pigs had a hay refresh and bottle refills. For their veggies they had peppers, the last of the parsley and romaine. They didn't seem to mind and it was promptly devoured.

I spent the rest of the day doing mundane things and resting. By 6pm I was in bed surrounded by cushions and more heat pads. Pebbles came for a cuddle while I watched TV.

I bet Socks would enjoy your sunflowers as well :) Although I believe guinea pigs can't have those.

Riven, I love that you grow cucumbers! With vegetable gardening you need to keep on top of things - I've never had much success but did manage some carrots and beetroot one year.
I've been growing veggies for over 10 years now and it's something I enjoy that's low impact on my joints. Carrots and parsnips do no good in my garden and I've tried everything to get them to grow. Beetroot did well a couple of years ago and so did swede. We've only had cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli do well 1 year, ever since it's done really bad.

I'm sorry you've had a bad day and hope things improve soon. 🫂Glad Pebbles kept you company. I had the same thing with broccoli. It grew one year but not the next. I wonder if it needs something different planting in between.

Sorry to hear you weren't well. I hope it eases off soon. Your pets must help with their presence. They always seem to know when something is wrong. You take good care of them!

Day 5
Another bad day but managed to spend less time in bed.

I had a bit of a lay in and stayed in bed until 9am. Dogs didn't mind but the pigs certainly did. I was a few hours late with hay refresh and veggie time was upon us. They like routine and you dare step out of it!

I opened the curtains (in the shed) to let some light through. Throughout the warmer weather I keep the curtains open as they're there to stop draft from the windows and doors. During the hot weather I close them when the sun is on them and hang shiny insulation foil on the outside of the window to reflect the heat. Sound silly, but it works. I even do the same for the doors unless it's dry heat and then I'll hang damp sheets to act like air conditioning and cool the air down. It works for houses too and I used it when we had the 40°C+ heatwaves a few years back. It got to 50°C in the shade in my garden and we managed to keep it at 29°C in the house thanks to the wet sheet hack.

I had a little walk around the garden and noticed the fuchsia had flowered and so had the clematis.
IMG_20240810_130432_600.jpgIMG_20240810_130439_084.jpg

Veggies were prepped and given promptly. Dogs were fed and snoozed. Quite a lazy day if I'm honest.

Day 6
Better today, still not 100%, but much better than I have been.

7am start and back in routine which the piggies prefer. They had their spot clean, hay/bottle refresh and veggies on time. Dogs were fed and enjoyed a few hours of play.

I went food shopping and got a few Christmas gifts. Once I came home I fed Gizmo and they played outside for a few hours then I showered Lulu and Gizmo as well as trimmed Gizmo and Pebbles' nails.
IMG_20240828_180122_730.jpgIMG_20240828_180116_018.jpgIMG_20240828_180112_408.jpg

After dinner I found a caterpillar. I believe it's a elephant hawk moth. They look like a snake and hiss. Quite interesting to watch it.
IMG_20240828_175355_090.jpgIMG_20240828_175408_288.jpg

We had some hawk moths a few years back but haven't seen any since. This is the first time I've seen this type of caterpillar and it's the first thing that came to mind. Looks like we're going to have some huge fluffy moths this year.

I'm sorry you've had a bad day and hope things improve soon. 🫂Glad Pebbles kept you company. I had the same thing with broccoli. It grew one year but not the next. I wonder if it needs something different planting in between.
Some do, yes. But I don't know what I've been doing wrong. I've tried different places and adding various things to the soil to make it better with no luck. I need to manure the garden this year, probably around November, which might help.

Sorry to hear you weren't well. I hope it eases off soon. Your pets must help with their presence. They always seem to know when something is wrong. You take good care of them!
Yes they always seem to know when I'm having a bad day and adjust their actions accordingly. I've noticed the difference in them and it never ceases to amaze me.

Yes animals do seem to know these things don't they? The fuschias and clematis are looking lovely. A relaxing day is a good thing. A 7am start sounds a bit early for me :ROFLMAO: Lovely doggy photos :) Goodness, people getting Christmas presents already! I guess it is nearly September.

The caterpillars! I have never seen one like that before. It almost looks to have a head and eyes!

Day 7

I'm so sorry that this is late, I've been hospital and had appointments.

I found another caterpillar early morning which confused the dogs.
IMG_20240829_100719_313.jpgIMG_20240829_100646_979.jpg

I managed to clean the pigs out and prep the shed ready for winter. I gave it a good clean and wiped the floor down. I need to find the mat which I had by the door last winter. The floor gets quite slippy and I can't really afford to slip/fall now.
IMG_20240831_140608_789.jpgIMG_20240831_153954_511.jpg

I picked a lot more beans so I blanched and frozen some for use later on in the year. I have another batch to do now. I also had more tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes. I also give some to a few families in need on the estate too.
IMG_20240830_141251_938.jpg

I ordered more hay and dog food so I'm now £80 lighter 😭

I spent the evening resting and watching TV with Pebs, Lulu and Giz.

I hope you enjoyed this week in the life of. I know it's a bit late in which I apologise 😅

Aw I'm so sorry you've had to go to hospital and so on. But maybe you needed a breather before day 7 anyway :) It was worth waiting for! I am completely fascinated by those caterpillars and their heads. They look sort of cute, but also slightly spooky at the same time :ROFLMAO: . On the second photo it looks like a bit of wood - clever camouflage.

Cleaning out a shed for winter sounds like a big job! Hope you're having a rest now. And good to stock up on veggies for the winter.

Thank you for doing this week (extended week ha ha). So many lovely pics of Piggies and dogs as well :)

Aw I'm so sorry you've had to go to hospital and so on. But maybe you needed a breather before day 7 anyway :) It was worth waiting for! I am completely fascinated by those caterpillars and their heads. They look sort of cute, but also slightly spooky at the same time :ROFLMAO: . On the second photo it looks like a bit of wood - clever camouflage.

Cleaning out a shed for winter sounds like a big job! Hope you're having a rest now. And good to stock up on veggies for the winter.

Thank you for doing this week (extended week ha ha). So many lovely pics of Piggies and dogs as well :)
Yes they're spooky looking. From I distance I thought it was a snake (we have grass snakes, adders and slow worms in the area) so was like, better move that before the dogs get to it.

It wasn't too bad if I'm honest. Every Spring I get everything out and give it a scrub. Autumn time I don't pull everything out , just sweep underneath it. I did wait until most of the hay had been used up before cleaning so there was less to lift and move about. It wasn't too bad if I'm honest. I do try to keep it clean anyway so that helps too.

Sorry to hear you needed treatment, but it's great that you are at home again and doing the things you enjoy. Love the fat caterpillar 🐛 The dogs were wise to leave him alone. I hope he didn't get at your wonderful vegetables. You must get a great deal of satisfaction and reward from growing! Lovely to see the piggies snug in their cosy shed in the hay.

Sorry to hear you needed treatment, but it's great that you are at home again and doing the things you enjoy. Love the fat caterpillar 🐛 The dogs were wise to leave him alone. I hope he didn't get at your wonderful vegetables. You must get a great deal of satisfaction and reward from growing! Lovely to see the piggies snug in their cosy shed in the hay.
The dogs get very confused by the caterpillar, you can see them trying to work out what it is. Thankfully the caterpillar was nowhere near the veggie patch but there have been some smaller green ones in there.

It is quite satisfying. However this year hasn't been the best for growing veggies so we haven't got as much as we'd hoped.

Piggies love lounging around in the hay. The next few nights are going to drop much cooler, potentially down to 2-3°C so this is where the work begins keeping them warm.

How do you insulate your piggies in the extreme cold? My boars live inside, but the central heating sometimes stops working and I can't run an electric heater while I'm at work as I don't think it would be safe. I might get a microwave to do snuggle safe pods, but I don't really have space for one and I'm not a great microwave fan, although they can be useful.

How do you insulate your piggies in the extreme cold? My boars live inside, but the central heating sometimes stops working and I can't run an electric heater while I'm at work as I don't think it would be safe. I might get a microwave to do snuggle safe pods, but I don't really have space for one and I'm not a great microwave fan, although they can be useful.
Hi

My pigs have lived inside too. I find that they withstand the cold better than the heat if I'm honest. I would recommend getting a thermometer and having it near the cage. You can then see how cold it's actually getting.

The shed is lined with insulation foil. Curtains are up at windows. These are only thin though so they're easier to wash. In a house I'd get thermal curtains. Blinds also help to prevent cold coming through the windows.

The hutches also have a cover and thermal insulation. For inside you could use blankets and fleece hides (if you use fleece). You can also add fleece/ noodle mats over hides to trap heat in if it gets really cold. I use this in conjunction with snuggle safes outdoors. The thing to remember with snuggle safes of they won't heat up an area just provide a warm spot.

Keeping windows and doors closed traps heat in but a couple times a day I air the room/shed out for about half an hour or 5-10 minutes if it's really cold.

Hay is your friend, it is a great insulator. Always make sure there's a nice pile of hay for them to lay in. Even hay filled boxes are appreciated.

I know what you mean by not wanting to leave electric radiators one while you are away, I'm the same. However, some people have them set up in their sheds to provide constant heat for the pigs.

Central heating goes off here too sometimes. Normally the boiler just needs repressurising and the radiators bled and it all goes on again. Thankfully we can do that ourselves.

Do you know why your heating keeps going off?

Back