Bedding depth debate

Looking at Raffy's 32cm wheel tonight made me realise there is no way it would be possible to have 40cm of bedding - unless you had something like a 90cm tall rat cage! Because above that 40cm of bedding needs to sit a 12" wheel. If it's on a stand that would add to height as well. Even if the stand was at substrate level that would be 40 plus 30 so a cage would need to be about 75cm tall. I don't think even any tank cages come out at 75cm tall.

So the only feasible way to have 40cm of bedding would be a 75cm tall custom made enclosure or a 75 to 90 cm tall rat cage with 40cm perspex bedding panels (which would probably block access doors). Even the Pawhut is only 55cm tall.

Meaning for the vast majority of people, achieving 40cm of bedding in a cage just isn't possible. It might be possible to have 30cm of bedding in a 60cm tall tank. There aren't many 60cm tall tanks either. A 60cm tall aquarium would cost the earth. Aquariums are expensive at the best of times.

The Rodipet LaOla 120cm is actually 60cm tall. But it would still be a squeeze to have 30cm of bedding in the entire cage, plus a 30cm wheel - a 30cm wheel on a stand is about 35cm tall. So even if the platform the wheel stands on was level with the substrate, and allowing only 1cm clearance between the wheel and the top of the cage, it would still only be possible to have 24cm of bedding in a 60cm tall cage (for Syrians anyway).

So I hope the pdsa change that wording a bit because new owners seeing that will just think - not possible to keep a hamster then!

I think the only way most people could have 40cm of bedding is a section at one end. Even with a very tall tank style cage.

There did used to be a cage that would achieve it - the 100cm Skyline Falco - the base was a glass tank about 40cm tall and then it had a barred cage top on top of that. But only had top access (or I would have got one!). Such a shame they're not made any more.

Last edited:
Anyway. The forum policies haven't changed. 6" of bedding or more. But personal choice still and what works for you and your hamster.

The 20cm or more the Blue Cross suggest, is good, however if possible and if it works for you and your hamster.

Personally, I would rather see a hamster adopted and in a hamster heaven with 6" of substrate - than left in a tiny cage with no enrichment. Things don't have to be perfect. It's great if we can go above and beyond that but giving them a good environment is the priority.

I am also remembering a particular thing about different styles of cages. A theory that actually what hamsters need is to feel secure from above. They often don't like a lot of space above them being prey animals. With barred cages, overhead cover can be achieved with roof hanging items such as rat sputniks, extra shelves, egg box hammocks or grass hammocks. These add enrichment to the environment (some hamsters love their roof runs and hammocks) and also provide overhead cover. Something to sit under and feel secure moving around the cage.

In a tank style cage this isn't always possibly but the advantage of a tank style cage is it's easier to have deeper substrate so the hamster can go underground to feel secure from open space - plus large floor hides can help.

So I think it is not all just about depth of substrate for benefitting hamsters - there are different ways of achieving enrichment, although it's always nice for them to have the opportunity to dig. Many a time I've seen a hamster snug and cosy in their hanging rat sputnik at night - as somewhere else to go.

In a tank style you can use branches, platforms, cork log bridges, tubes for overhead cover. Happy Henry homes include shelves in their sandboxes which also act as overhead covers.

Exactly - there are different ways of doing it. And different styles of cages have their pros and cons. With a tank style these large floor items are important for overhead cover.

Back