Before and After, Enclosure for George

Nikaaa

Reaction score
Hi guys! I finally have done up my hamsters enclosure :’) It took me a whole day to complete as I had to wait to get some of George’s un-soiled old bedding in his new enclosure!

This was his old set up, it was a Maxi Zoo cage that was 76 x 43 x 49 cm

It didn’t meet the bare minimum requirements but I tried my very best to give him things to do in his enclosure while I was waiting for all the packages for his new enclosure to fully make it.
IMG_2070.jpeg

His current enclosure is an aquarium tank 100 x 50 x 50cm. It is AquaRemedyIreland tanks, the man was kind enough to drive it to my house and lift it up to the apartment 😅

Here is a link to a reel of me making the enclosure:

IMG_2123.jpeg

At the moment, George is getting used to his new enclosure. I felt really bad at first as I try my best to make it the least stressful experience he can get. But I couldn’t connect the two cages.

I want to give him 2-3 days and see how he is, but it made his routine even more late. It was 11 now it’s 12 🥲

I am baking him treats today so I hope he enjoys them 😅❤️

It looks amazing! He'll love it! He's bound to need a few days to adjust but I'm sure he'll be bouncing around within a week or two.

I’m sure George will appreciate all your efforts with his new enclosure.
It may take him a little while to settle in & adjust but I’m sure he’ll soon settle again & be out & about exploring & enjoying everything.

It looks amazing! He'll love it! He's bound to need a few days to adjust but I'm sure he'll be bouncing around within a week or two.
Yes! I can’t wait! I put his old bedding under the house he would leave his stuff inside but he decided to go inside the chamber hide under. He was making burrows yesterday🥺

I’m sure George will appreciate all your efforts with his new enclosure.
It may take him a little while to settle in & adjust but I’m sure he’ll soon settle again & be out & about exploring & enjoying everything.
Yes! I really hope so! He really loves his free roam time so I can’t wait for him to finally ask to go on my hands so he can explore my room again :’) (safe proof)

I tend to think they need 2 or 3 days to sort their stuff out. Then maybe a couple more nights to fully navigate their new environment and are quite independent in that time. After that you'll develop new routines. It might not be the same as him coming to an open front cage door but he'll get used to, say, being called and walking into a tube to come out :)

Do you have a nightcam? It can be nice to watch next day during this period when we don't see as much of them - so we can see what they get up to at night.

I tend to think they need 2 or 3 days to sort their stuff out. Then maybe a couple more nights to fully navigate their new environment and are quite independent in that time. After that you'll develop new routines. It might not be the same as him coming to an open front cage door but he'll get used to, say, being called and walking into a tube to come out :)

Do you have a nightcam? It can be nice to watch next day during this period when we don't see as much of them - so we can see what they get up to at night.
Yes, I believe that too! I wanna give him space a bit. The night after he kept sneezing and I got super worried but then the day after he wasn’t anymore. I thought it could be the aspen ? But I’m not sure-

I don’t have one, but was looking to get one. Do you have any recommendations??

I used to have a reasonably priced recommendation but when mine got dropped and I replaced it, I found the brand name had changed (although it looked identical) and the quality was dire - virtually unusable. So I sent it back and ended up paying £50 for a Eufy one. Which is very good, but it's a lot of money. Others may know of cheaper ones that are good :) Maybe start a post asking for recommendations as a few people have different ones.

Wow, George’s new home looks great! I’m sure in a few days when he’s settled in, your original routine will reappear. He’s going to be so happy with all his extra space to play and burrow 😊

I used to have a reasonably priced recommendation but when mine got dropped and I replaced it, I found the brand name had changed (although it looked identical) and the quality was dire - virtually unusable. So I sent it back and ended up paying £50 for a Eufy one. Which is very good, but it's a lot of money. Others may know of cheaper ones that are good :) Maybe start a post asking for recommendations as a few people have different ones.
Ohh okay! Thank you! Which section is for asking for recommendations? Sorry I’m still navigating my way around 😅 I don’t want to spam in incorrect threads

Wow, George’s new home looks great! I’m sure in a few days when he’s settled in, your original routine will reappear. He’s going to be so happy with all his extra space to play and burrow 😊
Thank you! I hope so too, I baked him some hamster safe pat cookies so I home he appreciates this in some way additionally 😅 he was super happy borrowing yesterday night! I loved watching him borrow !

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Ohh okay! Thank you! Which section is for asking for recommendations? Sorry I’m still navigating my way around 😅 I don’t want to spam in incorrect threads
You're not spamming at all :) I just thought a separate thread title would get more responses on the topic :) Maybe start a thread in "Anything else Hamster"

Also good news, George went on my hand last night no problem. I missed his tiny paws 🥰

• Love
Aw that's lovely. Take it steady for the next week or so maybe and he'll soon be jumping on your hand confidently all the time.

Aw that's lovely. Take it steady for the next week or so maybe and he'll soon be jumping on your hand confidently all the time.
Yes 🥺 He is very curious little boy, I love him so much!

• Love
Back