Chinese hamster cage

That looks amazing! I don't think I know that cage? I know there are two sizes of Grosvenor cage with a removable top, but that one seems to have a front door. Whatever it is I think we need to add it to the cages thread!

It's this cage.

I think this cage isn't very popular because the stated dimensions are only 80x48cm but I still consider it about the same size as a Hamster Heaven. Cage manufacturers usually claim the external dimensions (for example the HH is 80cm wide from the very ends of the cage clips, the base is more like 75cm wide at the top), and the actual spaciousness from the hamster's point of view depends on the cage's design, and this means that 2-3cm difference between cages can be neither here nor there.

Reactions: Maz
Just read a few reviews. Difficult to put together and clean. Do you agree Daisy?

It's a great idea as it has that extra height which allows you to add more Chinesey enrichment :-) And still has a front opening door. I find all cages difficult to put together and clean lol!

Just read a few reviews. Difficult to put together and clean. Do you agree Daisy?
It's very similar to a Savic Plaza in construction (the way the wire sides slot into the corner posts) and since I've put that cage together before, I didn't find it too difficult. But I don't think the instructions were very good so I can see how some might struggle if they weren't familiar with the Savic Plaza.

I don't find cleaning a problem but maybe the people leaving those reviews are cleaning it out fully every couple of weeks, in which case I can see how it would be annoying to have the barred section fall apart whenever it's removed. However I just spot clean regularly and don't do full cleans very often so it's not a problem for me. As the reviews say, you can't use the handles to move the cage once it's full of bedding as the top panel will come off, which is a bit annoying.

I really like the cage overall though. I'd definitely recommend it for a dwarf or Chinese hamster.

The front door can be a bit loose which is why I bought these locks to keep it closed.

With a top door and a front door I'd think cleaning isn't that difficult - I rarely taking the bars off my Plaza cage. Funnily enough I just saw those locks online the other day and thought they were a good idea!

He's here!

After a 90 minute journey he looked a bit traumatised and I expected him to immediately hide and not emerge again for hours. But surprisingly he's already starting to explore his cage a bit, in a timid but brave kind of way. He looks very sweet. I can't wait to get to know him. I will start a thread for him once I've chosen a name.

byTg8YQl.jpg

rlbJ7rJl.jpg

Thank you! I'm so in love already.

He's exploring the cage in stages, returning to hide in the cork log whenever he's startled but always coming back out again very quickly to explore.

Ooh he's gorgeous! So exciting. He looks so happy exploring the cage - you can see his eyes light up when he discovers the wheel and what a great place he's in! Is the wheel stuck? He seemed to climb half way up the side without it moving! I think he seems very brave and not too timid!

Can't wait to hear more about your gorgeous chinesey boy!

Ooh he's gorgeous! So exciting. He looks so happy exploring the cage - you can see his eyes light up when he discovers the wheel and what a great place he's in! Is the wheel stuck? He seemed to climb half way up the side without it moving! I think he seems very brave and not too timid!

Can't wait to hear more about your gorgeous chinesey boy!
It was slightly stuck, yes, but I've unjammed it now. He was excited when he first discovered his sand bath and his food bowl as well!

I bet he was! I can see he is going to love his wheel :) He must think he's landed on his feet! So much to do and explore. The set up looks perfect for him.

Back