Dwarf hamster cage advice

Short term woodshavings shouldn't be harmful because they are kiln dried in the UK. I use them short term in foster cages in the wheel and sandbath areas but use paperbased bedding in burrowing and nesting areas. It's only Kaytee in permanent cages though as much nicer for the hamster.
Don't forget to give dwarfie a sandbath. Any suitable container will do and needs to be rodent sand not dust.
If you only have woodshavings handy make sure you give lots of torn into strips plain unscented toilet paper. I'd leave a big heap near the house anyway and more if you use woodshavings so he can make a cozy nest.

If you only happen to have petsathome woodshavings, i'd go through it and pick any sharp bits of wood out.
We all have to make do sometimes until we can get more suitable stuff.

Ah great thanks guys ! :)

I need to give this cage a wipe over, what can I use to do this? I don’t have a pet friendly cleaner spray yet, shall I just wait to get one tomorrow ?

I soak it in the bath with hot water and washing up liquid. Give it a good scrub and rinse well.
If a hamster has died in it i'd disinfect it with pet friendly spray and then rinse well.

Great thanks so much Beryl, I’m gonna give it a scrub in the bath.
They advertised it as new and gave it to me in a box but it still needs a wipe down as it’s a bit dusty. I’ll be sure to buy a pet friendly spray tomorrow, I’ve seen a few in Jolleys

Johnsons or Beaphar for small animals are good small pet disinfectants. It's definitely better than the current cage, but I would try and upgrade to something 100 x 50. I saw you mentioned the Mamble earlier. Although it's a tall cage, Viking Laser make perspex bedding panels for it which would reduce the height. So if you saw a cheap second hand one it could be worth getting the perspex to fit. I'm not sure how good the access is on the Mamble though. You're not likely to find a used Grosvenor XL as that size hasn't been out that long. However there are often second hand detolfs available quite cheap and they make a great cage for a dwarf hamster. It's more long than deep and would fit along a wall with storage underneath.

Edit - that should say you're not likely to find a USED Grosvenor XL! I've just edited it.

Last edited:
Back