Female hamster bleeding

Ilovehamsters

Reaction score
I have just adopted a female dwarf hamster. I noticed upon the first day she was bleeding for her bottom area, however its not a lot and the blood only appears when i handel her in certain ways? It seems like she has 3 holes? And its the second whole that is bleeding and like a sac of somthig is in the whole? Anywyas i cant feel anything as i thought it was pyometera. I cant get her to the vets rn as none of the local vets are available. If anyone has any ideas what this is or how to treat/ help it let me know. She is Approx 11 months- 12 months old! TIA
It wont let me attach files as they are too big

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Bleeding in a hamster is not something that could be treated with homely remedies in my opinion.

I'd make an emergency appointment with a hamster knowledgeable vet because there could be a number of causes. Only a vet can diagnose and treat.

I hope that you can get her medical help soon.

Hello. I'm so sorry you're having this with your little dwarf hamster. Beryl is right - any bleeding is a fairly urgent matter for a vet. It might be pyometra (in which case antibiotics are needed quickly) or it could be a number of other things including a uti or a burst abscess. Are you in the Uk or the US? Most vets have an emergency number you can call - or is there an animal hospital in your region?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Bleeding in a hamster is not something that could be treated with homely remedies in my opinion.

I'd make an emergency appointment with a hamster knowledgeable vet because there could be a number of causes. Only a vet can diagnose and treat.

I hope that you can get her medical help soon.
Thank you! Im trying to get her an appoitment ASAP! Do you have any clue what it could be or how i could ease the pain or help in some way to stop this from getting worse xx?

Reactions: Maz
It's difficult to say without knowing what it is, but any bleeding is usually considered serious. Hamsters don't have a lot of blood to lose! Do you think she is in pain as well? It does warrant an emergency appointment and the vets should have an out of hours number. I would ring that and then they could at least give you some advice even if they can't see you until tomorrow. There is nothing you can give for pain relief that isn't vet prescribed unfortunately. All you can do is keep her warm and comfortable meanwhile and offer her water on a teaspoon to drink if she is not active enough to drink herself.

As Maz already said, it could be a number of things like pyometra, urinary tract infection, abcess etc.
Are you sure it's not an injury? I mean, was she kept with another hamster before you adopted her?
All you can do in the meantime is to not handle her and leave her in her cage with lots of soft bedding like torn into strips plain white toilet paper.
Painrelief is something the vet may prescribe but there isn't anything you could give her. If she has an infection she'll need antibiotics.

Keeping her warm is important too. If your room is warm that should be ok, but if not then you might need wrap her in a blanket and hold her - depending on what condition she is in (and depending if she is tame enough to hold like that).

That is a good point beryl makes about an injury. Do you know if she was kept with another hamster before? When they fight, the backside is often the first place they bite. Whether it's an injury or something else, she will probably need something for pain and antibiotics whatever the diagnosis is. A vet consultation isn't usually too expensive - maybe £20 to £30. The medication would be on top. If she's getting crusted up where there's some blood, then you could dab it clean with some tepid saline water if it helps her be more comfortable. That would be better for a wound really though. If you do this though, it's important not to get her wet as they don't do well getting wet. You can just use the corner of a soft cloth, wrung out so it's only just damp, and dab that way. To make the saline you put a teaspoon of salt in a pint of boiling water and wait until it's cooled (tepid so it's only just warm but not quite cold).

If the vets are saying it's not an emergency then I would try a different vet and ring their out of hours number and ask for some advice. Tell them you think she is in pain because to me, that is urgent and they should at least see you tomorrow. When choosing vets, choose one that is an exotic vet (or has an exotic vet in the practice). They know a lot more about hamsters. Most vets don't know that much about hamster illnesses.

Is she ok in herself otherwise? Moving around ok and eating and drinking ok?

As Maz already said, it could be a number of things like pyometra, urinary tract infection, abcess etc.
Are you sure it's not an injury? I mean, was she kept with another hamster before you adopted her?
All you can do in the meantime is to not handle her and leave her in her cage with lots of soft bedding like torn into strips plain white toilet paper.
Painrelief is something the vet may prescribe but there isn't anything you could give her. If she has an infection she'll need antibiotics.
I know she used to bark climb and she bites so possibly bit a child and got him yet? Thank you

Sorry didn't quite follow that :-). Bar climbing shouldn't make a difference, unless she had a fall but you'd probably see visible injury from that. It she bit a child I'm not sure how that would make a difference (assuming the child didn't bite back!).

They only usually bite if they're frightened or in pain. If you need to handle her, and you're worried about her biting then just wear some thick gloves. But she will probably respond fine to gentle handling. Do you have anything you could take her to the vets in? A pet carrier eg?

It's difficult to say without knowing what it is, but any bleeding is usually considered serious. Hamsters don't have a lot of blood to lose! Do you think she is in pain as well? It does warrant an emergency appointment and the vets should have an out of hours number. I would ring that and then they could at least give you some advice even if they can't see you until tomorrow. There is nothing you can give for pain relief that isn't vet prescribed unfortunately. All you can do is keep her warm and comfortable meanwhile and offer her water on a teaspoon to drink if she is not active enough to drink herself.
Thank you. She drinks fine and the amount of blood she looses is VERY small so. She eats normally too! I’ll try to ring them up again!

I asked about location :) And we've had a chat about that.

Riven is right, even a small amount of bleeding is cause for concern and I hope you manage to get an appointment. With hamsters they can suddenly go downhill quite quickly. But it sounds like she is doing ok at the moment. Keep an eye on her.

I have just adopted a female dwarf hamster. I noticed upon the first day she was bleeding for her bottom area, however its not a lot and the blood only appears when i handel her in certain ways? It seems like she has 3 holes? And its the second whole that is bleeding and like a sac of somthig is in the whole? Anywyas i cant feel anything as i thought it was pyometera. I cant get her to the vets rn as none of the local vets are available. If anyone has any ideas what this is or how to treat/ help it let me know. She is Approx 11 months- 12 months old! TIA
It wont let me attach files as they are too big
Hi there 👋 You've had some great advice here, you couldn't have joined a kinder, More helpful online forum, I hope you stick around! Photos are often a great help, and like you, I too had difficulty uploading pics. However, I downloaded this app from playstore, and it solved the problem. When you open the app, upload the pic you want to share, and click on the first option in the app, which is 'compress'. Your compressed photo will automatically download to your gallery, and you will be able to share it here without a problem.
Please will you keep us updated on your tiny new family member? 💜

Also if you send me the photo I can resize it for you. They need to be maximum 2mb in size (there are various apps for resizing photos but it can be a fiddle. You can send it to the forum email address on the "Contact us" link at the bottom.

Thank you. She drinks fine and the amount of blood she looses is VERY small so. She eats normally too! I’ll try to ring them up again!
It's good that it's only a tiny amount of blood. Any blood could mean infection though and she could need antibiotics fairly quickly. I hope the vet manages to fit you in.

Back