Found something concerning need help.

I am also not sure if i should be waiting and keeping a close eye on him to see if it was some freak one off kinda accident or something like a UTI that needs a vet to look at.
Robbie

When you say your hamster does not come out at night, is he coming out at all? Also, if you are asleep it is likely he is coming out and you are not aware of it.

What is your hamsters name by the way? :)

If you’ve seen nothing since the first blood it does sound as though it’s more likely to he could have scratched himself possibly rather than a UTI, with a UTI I would think you would be seeing at least some sign that he isn’t well by now. Just keep an eye things in case.
Moving house is quite a big deal for them, adjusting to having the cage in a new place with new scents etc can take a while to get used to. Is there anything about the position of the cage now that might disturb him do you think, any noises, scents or anything that could make it feel very different for him?

His name is Cookie 🍪😁

Hmm I mean we currently do not have any doors so I can't keep him in a room away from my cat now my cat does not pay any interest to him at all luckily but maybe the scent of my cat is making not want to come out as much?
I usually stay up quite late into the night right now and I don't hear him on his wheel but that does not mean he is not out I guess when I went to check on him last night he was out foraging for food

Robbie

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Cookies a sweet name.

It could well be your cat that’s the problem, even if the cat doesn’t take any interest that you see Cookie will no doubt be aware that it’s around, as he was well over a year when you moved he may not adjust to having the cat around as he’s grown up in a cat free environment & they do tend to be aware that a cat is potentially a predator so maybe if you can find some way to keep the cat well away it might help.

Agree about the cat. Tricky if you have no doors. Is the hamster cage off the floor? You could maybe put some kind of screen in front of it/round it so the cat can't easily get into that area (or jump on top of the cage). I would give it time as well - it can take time for them to adjust and it's winter - they often sleep later in cold weather, especially now he's all grown up and not a baby any more :) I'm thinking those bedroom type room divider screens possibly?

Yeah that might be something I might have to look into I have made sure my cat cannot jump on the cage because she did do it a couple of times yeah he is coming up to 2 years old in a couple of months so he is definitely an older boy now and maybe he just enjoys his sleep and den more then he did when he was a baby. You said about the cold weather would that have a big effect on him?
I am sure little cookie appreciates you guys giving me tips on how to better care for him 😁

Robbie

Cookie is a lovely name. Please feel free to post a picture of him and start a thread all about him. Many members keep diaries on here for their hamsters. :)

The cold can make hamsters feel sleepy and not as active. I know that is really tricky with the cost of living but extra bedding can help keep them warm.

This is a picture from a couple of months ago of the little guy haha 😅

He's gorgeous! I reduced your photo size a bit so it was easier to see and a bit sharper :) It's easy to do - click on edit after posting, then if you tap on the photo some dots appear at the corners of the photo and you can just drag the top right corner dot down to make it slightly smaller. The edit button is only there for about 15 minutes though.

I also love his colour and expression! He looks a real personality! It's not easy to tell from the photo but maybe his nails are getting a bit long? That can happen when they get older and it could cause him to scratch himself a bit hard and make something bleed possibly. Sometimes their nails need a bit of trimming - which is not that easy but not impossible! I tend to do it when they're out of the cage and engrossed in eating something tasty (like a teaspoonful of porridge!) then while they're still I just snip the very end off the odd nail with a small pair of nail scissors - you need good eyesight. They will usually tolerate that for 3 or 4 nails per go before pulling their leg away, as they're focused on the food! It can take a few sessions of just doing the odd nail or two at a time. But it really is just about 1mm off the end - you don't want to take anything more than that off or it can cut the quick and bleed (and be painful then). It might be he has even torn a nail if he's caught it on something and the nail has bled previously.

Sometimes people take the hamster to the vet to have their nails clipped the first time so they can see how to do it. What can help keep their nails trim ongoing, so they don't get too long is having some kind of rough stone in the cage. If they regularly walk over that it keeps the nails worn down. I have a rough granite tile and also have a terracotta plant pot base. If you have something like that under the food dish or water bottle - the hamster walks on it every time he goes to get food or for a drink - which is daily :)

Thank you I will look into finding a safe way to get his nails trimmed down a bit!
I like the idea of the rock maybe it would be fun for him as well to feel something different under his feel

Not sure if you've seen it but we have a hamster photo competition running :-) There's a vague general theme this month of "Hamster Love" as Valentine's Day coming up. That could be anything from a picture of a hamster with their favourite thing that they love or just sitting in or on something red eg.

Back