Guest viewing is limited

George the Syrian Hamster šŸ¹

Nikaaa

Reaction score
Hi guys! I never tried keeping a journal but I really wanted to! I have always posted on instagram but I thought it would be a very cool idea to also do it in a forum as hamsters became out of my hobbies ā¤ļøšŸ¹šŸ„°

Today I wanted to showcase a new chamber hide I got for my little one. It was by @honey_tree_paws on instagram! I commissioned her for this and Iā€™m in love!!!
IMG_2920.jpeg
I noticed George isnā€™t a fan of going into his other wooden house, he did in his old cage but now he doesnā€™t much. But he enjoyed going into the chamber hide! The old one was from maxi zoo and wasnā€™t a chamber hide so I am thinking of using it as playpen/free roam time house!
image.jpg
(Spot cleaning soon)

But that also means I have to move around a bit. I am aware that too much change can be stressful! But I have to re arrange some stuff for it to work.

image.jpg
Currently it is like this! I need to move it around a bit (ofc without changing the bedding I wanted to add more though) have any of you re-arranged the furniture and hiw did your hamster react to it? I am curious to know. The scent will be his still.

I actually had a different wheel before aswell and I noticed it was too small so I got him a huge wheel but I left it outside of his enclosure and he noticed it and the smell was familiar that he wanted to run on it so he does seem to rememebr his old objects aswell šŸ˜… (gotta get him a big wheel for free roam too as I donā€™t really want him to use the dwarf hamster wheel)

IMG_2960.jpeg
Also! Wanted to end on a cute note! As here is George enjoying his new chamber hide! Canā€™t forget to include him aswell as he is the main star of this post! šŸ„°

I would love to hear other peopleā€™s experiences on re arranging their enclosures as I need to do that šŸ˜…

Hope everyoneā€™s day is doing great!

It's all lovely! I'm aware of Honey three paws - I had a little chair from her for my Robo and another member did as well. She makes wonderful hamster items and all individual. Really glad George loves his new hide :-) I can see why he wasn't that fussed about the old one - although it's nice, it slopes down at one side inside so maybe not enough room for him away for the door and the light. It would work great in a playpen,

It is really difficult changing things round and fitting something in. I had to do with Raffy's cage a few weeks after he arrived - when a better house came and his habits showed me the house was in the wrong place.

He was a little wary and confused that his route had changed etc - for a few days, but that is all it took for him to settle after the changes. So I'd say he might be slightly skitty for a few days to a week after changes and best to avoid any spot cleaning or other changes for a week or so after that.

Some changes they really approve of though so it doesn't bother them too much :)

I generally don't rearrange unless it's necessary. Done it three times with Raffy. The first time was the new house. The second time was when he had an upgrade from the Plaza100 to the Plaza120. But I kept everything the same as before - same items, same layout, plus a few new things as it was bigger.

The thing that confused him/threw him off a bit the most, was the bars smelled different. Everything looked the same but the bars didn't smell of him. He spent a few days sniffing the bars a lot and rubbing up against them scent marking.

Yes I am sure they recognise old things of theirs. Partly scent but I do think they remember things. With out first Hamster, Charlie, he was in a cage similar to the Hamster Heaven - with the same shelf and little pod house as the hamster heaven. I knew very little about hamster care at that point and it evolved as he showed me what worked and what didn't. I also had a little wood house in the cage, which he completely ignored and built a nest in the plastic pod house attached to the shelf. Of course it was too small and stuffed full of bedding and hoard, so the top kept popping up and falling off the shelf down to the substrate. He would get really bothered - as if someone had deliberately stolen his house! I'd put it back and it kept popping off again. It wasn't working and got stinky as well. So I gave him a much bigger wood house, instead of the shelf and pod house (the flat roof doubled up as a shelf) and that worked really well. He liked the bigger house as it was darker at the end away from the door.

I kept the little plastic pod house though and used it in the playpen or sometimes in the pet carrier. Whenever he came across it, I swear a look of love and excitement came over him. He knew that little house. He would curl up in it (it was mostly round). It also fitted well in a pet carrier.

I still have it, 10 years later! Bright green. And all my hamsters have loved it in a pet carrier. Although it's a bit small they can burrow down a bit in it.

Your enclosure set up looks amazing! And that is a totally adorable photo of George in his new house - he looks really happy!

Almost a twin of Raffy too :-)

Just bumping this so it gets seen :-) It's a lovely start to George's diary and some good discussion points in there to be addressed :-)

What a lovely chamber hide, no wonder he is enjoying it! His set up looks pretty wonderful too.

It's all lovely! I'm aware of Honey three paws - I had a little chair from her for my Robo and another member did as well. She makes wonderful hamster items and all individual. Really glad George loves his new hide :) I can see why he wasn't that fussed about the old one - although it's nice, it slopes down at one side inside so maybe not enough room for him away for the door and the light. It would work great in a playpen,

It is really difficult changing things round and fitting something in. I had to do with Raffy's cage a few weeks after he arrived - when a better house came and his habits showed me the house was in the wrong place.

He was a little wary and confused that his route had changed etc - for a few days, but that is all it took for him to settle after the changes. So I'd say he might be slightly skitty for a few days to a week after changes and best to avoid any spot cleaning or other changes for a week or so after that.

Some changes they really approve of though so it doesn't bother them too much :)

I generally don't rearrange unless it's necessary. Done it three times with Raffy. The first time was the new house. The second time was when he had an upgrade from the Plaza100 to the Plaza120. But I kept everything the same as before - same items, same layout, plus a few new things as it was bigger.

The thing that confused him/threw him off a bit the most, was the bars smelled different. Everything looked the same but the bars didn't smell of him. He spent a few days sniffing the bars a lot and rubbing up against them scent marking.

Yes I am sure they recognise old things of theirs. Partly scent but I do think they remember things. With out first Hamster, Charlie, he was in a cage similar to the Hamster Heaven - with the same shelf and little pod house as the hamster heaven. I knew very little about hamster care at that point and it evolved as he showed me what worked and what didn't. I also had a little wood house in the cage, which he completely ignored and built a nest in the plastic pod house attached to the shelf. Of course it was too small and stuffed full of bedding and hoard, so the top kept popping up and falling off the shelf down to the substrate. He would get really bothered - as if someone had deliberately stolen his house! I'd put it back and it kept popping off again. It wasn't working and got stinky as well. So I gave him a much bigger wood house, instead of the shelf and pod house (the flat roof doubled up as a shelf) and that worked really well. He liked the bigger house as it was darker at the end away from the door.

I kept the little plastic pod house though and used it in the playpen or sometimes in the pet carrier. Whenever he came across it, I swear a look of love and excitement came over him. He knew that little house. He would curl up in it (it was mostly round). It also fitted well in a pet carrier.

I still have it, 10 years later! Bright green. And all my hamsters have loved it in a pet carrier. Although it's a bit small they can burrow down a bit in it.

Your enclosure set up looks amazing! And that is a totally adorable photo of George in his new house - he looks really happy!

Almost a twin of Raffy too :)
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! That meant a lot to me šŸ„°

I will definitely keep everyone uptaded and I think it is a nice way also to open Georgeā€™s diary !! šŸ“” šŸ¹

I always like to make sure, as upsetting George would be the last thing I wanna do.

Actually Georgeā€™s routine has a sudden change since yesterday and I didnā€™t even change anything and Iā€™m quite worried I wanna take him to the vet just in case

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! That meant a lot to me šŸ„°

I will definitely keep everyone uptaded and I think it is a nice way also to open Georgeā€™s diary !! šŸ“” šŸ¹

I always like to make sure, as upsetting George would be the last thing I wanna do.

Actually Georgeā€™s routine has a sudden change since yesterday and I didnā€™t even change anything and Iā€™m quite worried I wanna take him to the vet just in case
Aw what is George doing that's different?

Aw what is George doing that's different?
He always wakes up at 11:50, then cleans himself in the mushroom hide, has a sip of water and then does the meerkat pose for me to put my hand in so he can go outside but since Thursday he didnā€™t do that. He woke up at 00:30 and he didnā€™t want to go outside, he also fell asleep on the ceramic tile I have
IMG_2975.jpeg

And he didnā€™t want to come out. I was like okay thatā€™s fine! Maybe he wasnā€™t up for it but yesterday night it was the same thing. He didnā€™t sleep on the tile but he didnā€™t feel comfortable to leave again. Not sure what I did wrong because he was okay always. Makes me worried very much

I would try not to worry. All kinds of things can affect their habits - changing temperatures is one thing. Is he eating and drinking ok? Sometimes they just have a night or two when they don't want to come out or have decided it's the wrong time of night for them. I've had that many times with Raffy - he won't come out when I want him to sometimes around 10pm - even though he's up and about. And just as I'm about to go to bed he wants to come out! He sits there under his shelf washing and looks at me as if to say - go away human, I'm busy :ROFLMAO: Not sure why he would sleep on his tile though - was it just a nap?

Do you have a nightcam? I find that can be reassuring to see they're active and normal at night.

Maybe tonight try and tempt him into a tube with a smelly treat at the end to get him out so you can give him a checkover. Will he accept being handled gently yet? Might need to be in a secure area in case he makes a run for it.

I would try not to worry. All kinds of things can affect their habits - changing temperatures is one thing. Is he eating and drinking ok? Sometimes they just have a night or two when they don't want to come out or have decided it's the wrong time of night for them. I've had that many times with Raffy - he won't come out when I want him to sometimes around 10pm - even though he's up and about. And just as I'm about to go to bed he wants to come out! He sits there under his shelf washing and looks at me as if to say - go away human, I'm busy :ROFLMAO: Not sure why he would sleep on his tile though - was it just a nap?

Do you have a nightcam? I find that can be reassuring to see they're active and normal at night.

Maybe tonight try and tempt him into a tube with a smelly treat at the end to get him out so you can give him a checkover. Will he accept being handled gently yet? Might need to be in a secure area in case he makes a run for it.
The night cam thing I have researched so much and I got frustrated and gave up- I sometimes take super long to make a decision because I always want to make sure I get my moneys worth. I have ADHD so I make sure to give myself time before rushing into decisions due to my compulsive nature sometimes šŸ˜…

He was running on the wheel, and he does drink water so this is 100% confirmed as I stayed up until 3am to make sure he is ok (yes I am paranoid šŸ˜…)

Iā€™ll give it time. I am spot cleaning today and I tend to do it when he is playing outside of his enclosure but I canā€™t wait for him this time as I like to be on top of that so I will take out the bedding that has been peed on- he pees close to where his burrow entrance in so I hope he doesnā€™t get mad at me for putting my hand inside šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

What a lovely chamber hide, no wonder he is enjoying it! His set up looks pretty wonderful too.
Thank you so much Tulsi!!! I really recommend the lady who makes the chamber hides! They are beautiful and each is unique as they are hand painted šŸ˜ She will make any theme you like (I asked for forest critters) šŸ„°

It's hard enough making decisions at the best of times! And the nightcams aren't cheap really. I got a bit mind boggled too.

How is George doing tonight? šŸ˜Š

Hi guys! I never tried keeping a journal but I really wanted to! I have always posted on instagram but I thought it would be a very cool idea to also do it in a forum as hamsters became out of my hobbies ā¤ļøšŸ¹šŸ„°

Today I wanted to showcase a new chamber hide I got for my little one. It was by @honey_tree_paws on instagram! I commissioned her for this and Iā€™m in love!!!
View attachment 7446
I noticed George isnā€™t a fan of going into his other wooden house, he did in his old cage but now he doesnā€™t much. But he enjoyed going into the chamber hide! The old one was from maxi zoo and wasnā€™t a chamber hide so I am thinking of using it as playpen/free roam time house!
View attachment 7447
(Spot cleaning soon)

But that also means I have to move around a bit. I am aware that too much change can be stressful! But I have to re arrange some stuff for it to work.

View attachment 7448
Currently it is like this! I need to move it around a bit (ofc without changing the bedding I wanted to add more though) have any of you re-arranged the furniture and hiw did your hamster react to it? I am curious to know. The scent will be his still.

I actually had a different wheel before aswell and I noticed it was too small so I got him a huge wheel but I left it outside of his enclosure and he noticed it and the smell was familiar that he wanted to run on it so he does seem to rememebr his old objects aswell šŸ˜… (gotta get him a big wheel for free roam too as I donā€™t really want him to use the dwarf hamster wheel)

View attachment 7449
Also! Wanted to end on a cute note! As here is George enjoying his new chamber hide! Canā€™t forget to include him aswell as he is the main star of this post! šŸ„°

I would love to hear other peopleā€™s experiences on re arranging their enclosures as I need to do that šŸ˜…

Hope everyoneā€™s day is doing great!
What a great hide!

How is George doing tonight? šŸ˜Š
He was okay! I decided to just do it, took me super long aswell cause I tried to fit the chamber hide and it fit well in the corner where the previous house was but I had to move the peep hole slightly forward. I still am not too happy itā€™s there cause I canā€™t see the art on that side but I need to build a better lid before I do that as I wanted to raise the bedding level too! I need my mums help for that so I have to wait šŸ˜…

George just kinda woke up, he woke up extra late like 00:40 and I thought he died (very silly of me he is still young but I know hamsters can die suddenly due to a lot of poor breeding genetics from the past) so I pushed the tank forward and I noticed for the first time you can see his burrow from the back šŸ˜ I saw him open his eyes and was like ā€œwhatā€™s going on?ā€but he came out after that and I removed the soiled bedding.

He was very curious when he got his new chamber hide in the enclosure, he kept going inside and checking it out- I think he seems more interested in that than the wooden house anyway. Iā€™ll use the wooden house for play area time.

He also ran on the wheel as I heard him tonight and when I hear him run on the wheel I feel much better as it means he is a healthy boy šŸ„°

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5
Itā€™s a really beautiful house isnā€™t it. She is so clever making those and it gives real joy looking at them :)

Glad you got to see he was ok last night. I had a similar scare/worry with Raffy one night recently for different reasons (old rather than young šŸ˜Š).

I wonder if he will move into the house - although sounds like he has a cosy burrow. It has been really quite chilly recently so that might be why heā€™s coming out later.

Itā€™s a really beautiful house isnā€™t it. She is so clever making those and it gives real joy looking at them :)

Glad you got to see he was ok last night. I had a similar scare/worry with Raffy one night recently for different reasons (old rather than young šŸ˜Š).

I wonder if he will move into the house - although sounds like he has a cosy burrow. It has been really quite chilly recently so that might be why heā€™s coming out later.
He hasnā€™t moved in there! I think he really likes his burrow! Probably because if he is too warm he digs to the bottom of the tank and gets the cold from the floor tiles and if he is colder he covers himself in bedding. So he creates himself a perfect balance suited to his needs, but he still enjoys going inside the hide when he is out šŸ„°šŸ„°

Yes, I believe even in my previous cases of my forum concerns, you can notice by now u panic easily šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I just overthink !!!

Raffy is such a cutie!!

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Aw - I think itā€™s fairly common to panic with a new hamster :-). Weā€™ve all been there.

Yes itā€™s trr et bit when they have lots of great options for nesting! But I bet he loves that house.

Back