Grommits trials and tribulations

grommit217

Hamster Fanatic
Reaction score
Since we got Grommit things have bewn difficult He's super shy, then we went on holiday and he fell out with us. After lots of weeks of being very slow with him and help from the forum we have an amazing update...I took off the lid of his shoebox house and he was ok about it. I rewarded him with cucumber. I put his tube near him and he came out. This is all very good news but....he then walked across our hands in his playpen and he let us lift him up! I spot cleaned his cage and refreshed with clean bedding and I found enough food to feed a thousand hamsters.
Pictures below..definatly progress tonight! Thanks for everyone's guidance

Attachments

• 20231127_202105.jpg
    20231127_202105.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231127_203307.jpg
    20231127_203307.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231127_203310.jpg
    20231127_203310.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231127_203312.jpg
    20231127_203312.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231127_203321.jpg
    20231127_203321.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 12
Really glad to hear you’ve had some interaction with him. He is tame and trusts you if he lets you pick him up. If he continues to be a shy boy then you can keep tempting him out :). Once they are out of the cage they behave differently.

He’ll love that :). I’ve often mulled over the idea of setting up a permanent tube run from a cage to a playpen so they can come and go to a playpen when they want. I’ve not mastered the engineering or space aspects yet!

That’s such good news, lovely to see Grommit out in the playpen interacting with you.
It’s hard when they are really shy like that but sometimes all they need is time & patience & it’s really paid off for you & Grommit now.

I'm not that brave. He tried to climb the side last night and I had to grab him 🫢

That’s such good news, lovely to see Grommit out in the playpen interacting with you.
It’s hard when they are really shy like that but sometimes all they need is time & patience & it’s really paid off for you & Grommit now.
It was worrying, thinking he'd never let us touch him

I'll try and keep on his good side. I won't tell him that his cage is where we put our Christmas tree ( guess it's going somewhere else this year)
I have that issue too! We had to get a smaller tree and put it in a different place!

Lovely to see Grommit now interacting with you sure he will be fine now unless he gets a mood on😀
I'll try and keep on his good side. I won't tell him that his cage is where we put our Christmas tree ( guess it's going somewhere else this year
I am sure there is no issue with touching him - it's just encouraging him to come out for interaction :) They aren't keen on interaction inside their cage as that is their territory.
True, we did have to lift the lid, we may have to do the same tonight , we'll see soon..

I leave the hamster cage where it is and find another place for a small Christmas tree! The tree did end up slightly obscuring the TV at one side as a result, which didn't bother me and the others had to put up with it lol.

I leave the hamster cage where it is and find another place for a small Christmas tree! The tree did end up slightly obscuring the TV at one side as a result, which didn't bother me and the others had to put up with it lol.
I think I've identified a suitable spot for Miss B on the other side of the lounge from her usual spot. In fact it may be a bit warmer as it's under the stairs. I had the tape measure out this morning trying to work out if her cage will fit 😅 She'll probably have something to say about it tho lol 😆

Back