Guest viewing is limited

Hamster may have eaten old scrambled eggs / she's weak and something wrong with her eye

Did the vet prescribe pain relief?
No, but I have anti-inflammatories from before, for my other hamster - I was thinking of giving it to her but I googled antibiotics + anti inflammatories and it says generally they shouldn't be combined.

Google is unreliable and i would advise you to contact your vet.
Maybe you could phone or email your vet and ask the question.

Is it Metacam or Loxicam (same thing). That is regularly given with antibiotics - unless this is a specific antibiotic she's on. The usual one is Baytril (Enrofloxacin). With the Metacam, an open bottle is safe to use for 6 months (but check on the label in case it was made up specially rather than a manufacturer bottle).

Is there an exotic vet in your area? I'm slightly concerned the vet sent her back with just antibiotics and no pain relief or anything like the critical care you've found. A vet can also give an injection if a hamster is very poorly.

However she's had a lot of stress as well - being at the vets and this can make them under par. But it's good news she is taking the critical care. If she's refusing the baby food, try something else - it might need changing/variety every few days. Like the soaked science selective (it's available in the US as well as the Uk).

Most of the critical care formulas have timothy hay as a main ingredient (ie herbivore). I wouldn't worry too much if she's poorly - but if you can get emeraid omnivore, that would be better for a hamster (no timothy hay). In the short term it isn't an issue (the hay) but long term it's not ideal in a hamster diet.

Last edited:
Also keep her warm - she won't be able to do the normal nesting and digging probably so could get cold easily - especially if inactive generally. The best way to do that is to keep the room temperature warm and stable if possible.

This is the emeraid

If there's another vet that's an exotic in your area it may be an idea to ring them. If not then phone the current vet and say you think she's in pain and should you give the metacam. You'll need the right dosage. But tbh I would probably give some anyway if you have some because it sounds like a bit of an emergency and it may help her a lot. Having pain relief may improve her appetite and she'll feel less stressed as well.

This is the emeraid

If there's another vet that's an exotic in your area it may be an idea to ring them. If not then phone the current vet and say you think she's in pain and should you give the metacam. You'll need the right dosage. But tbh I would probably give some anyway if you have some because it sounds like a bit of an emergency and it may help her a lot. Having pain relief may improve her appetite and she'll feel less stressed as well.
Thank you so much for all the help!
My vet is an exotic vet, he seems very knowledgeable in general, but yes the anti inflammatory I have is Metacam, so it's safe to give with antibiotics 100%?

You should check with the vet really. All I can say is Baytril and Metacam are prescribed together a lot. And you need the right dose for the Metacam. Which antibiotic is it?

That’s really good that she’s taking the critical care, that will give her a boost.

You should check with the vet really. All I can say is Baytril and Metacam are prescribed together a lot. And you need the right dose for the Metacam. Which antibiotic is it?
Albon is the antibiotic. I called the vet but the primary vet was gone for the day. Lady who answered the phone said it's okay to give them together, I don't know her mastery in the business but she said it without hesitation like she knew for certain. I hope she's not wrong, I gave her 1 dose of Meloxicam because she seems to be in a great deal of pain.

You did the right thing. If she's lost weight, the dose might need to be lower than you've given previously, although there is some leeway. Assume the vet suggested the dose.

Albon isn't Baytril - it's the other antibiotic they sometimes use for hard to shift infections (a sulfonamide antibiotic). Good to know it's safe to give Metacam with it. I am really glad she is on Metacam if she's in pain. It can really perk them up when it starts to work.

Fingers crossed she'll start improving.

She died :( I was awake for like 30 hours just sick with worry, couldn't sleep. I finally went to nap for 3 hours and I woke up and she's gone. I'm so sad, if I had gotten Critical Care 1 day sooner she might have had the energy to keep fighting. Heartbroken, my little angel :(

I’m so very sorry Tosan, you did everything you could for her, I think we all tend to think if we’d done this or that sooner or differently it may not have happened but you did your best for her & that’s all you can do, sometimes an infection like this is just too much for their tiny bodies to overcome. I’m sure she knew she was loved & how much you cared for her.

I’m so very sorry Tosan, you did everything you could for her, I think we all tend to think if we’d done this or that sooner or differently it may not have happened but you did your best for her & that’s all you can do, sometimes an infection like this is just too much for their tiny bodies to overcome. I’m sure she knew she was loved & how much you cared for her.
Thank you, I will miss her sorely, she was a special little gal :'(

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 8.png
    8.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 3
I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful girl. I don't think critical care a day earlier would have made any difference. Sadly, sometimes their little bodies can't overcome an illness, no matter how hard we try. You've tried your best but it wasn't meant to be.
She knew she was loved.

I am so very sorry your special girl has passed. You did everything possible to help her so please never doubt that. My thoughts are with you.

I am so very sorry. It's very sad. She did sound quite poorly and you were concerned about that. It does sound like it was a nasty infection of some kind. I'm not sure if you're aware but female syrians can get pyometra (an infection of the womb). There are two types - closed pyometra and open pyometra. With closed pyometra there are no external signs other than illness from infection. As she was so young, it's possible she had that. The only treatment is antibiotics, but sometimes even that doesn't fix it or the infection comes straight back. Sometimes spaying gets rid of it (after antibiotics) but not always and it can affect their lifespan. It may be some explanation as to why she died so young. Although I know she also had the tooth issues and previous abscess.

The infection hit her hard. You did everything you could and she was clearly very unwell and unable to recover.

She is playing free over the Rainbow Bridge now, free from pain. But we do feel their loss in a big way. Do keep coming on here. There's a Rainbow Bridge section if you want to post a memorial to her on here.

I find leaving the cage with a blanket on it for a couple of days helps initially - if you can't face cleaning it out straight away. Other times I just do it straight away.

Also although we are grieving, I find it helps to get past it once I have another new baby hamster to look after, who needs me. When I say that - I don't mean to replace her. No other hamster can replace her. And it can help to find one that is actually different so it doesn't remind you - different colour or sex or even different species of hamster. They also all have their individual personalities.

If you do get another one though, you'll need to leave the cage at least 3 weeks after disinfecting it in case it was infection or disease.

Last edited:
Back