Hamster screeching

Great! A Vivarium has front opening doors doesn't it? Is it all glass or one of those wood ones with glass doors? The wood ones - they could do with the whole top taking off and replacing with a mesh lid. Ventilation is very important. Some people cut holes to insert circular vents in the end panels but that's not enough. If it's a glass vivarium it probably has a mesh top already. A glass one should have the doors higher up which would allow for substrate. The wood ones - they'd probably need a glass or perspex panel inside the front opening doors - to keep the substrate in!

I would check the size though - sometimes these things look massive and then you find it's actually not much bigger than the cage inside!

I think front opening can be a lot easier for a lot of people.

That sounds like a great plan and much cheaper too. Maz makes a very good point about checking the size and doors etc. A 4 foot viv would be a lovely size.🙂

Reactions: Maz
I'm sure it'll be bigger than the Imac :-) I think vivs come in various sizes - 3ft, 4ft and even 5ft. A 4ft would be ideal - a 3ft would be fine as long as it's deep enough/wide enough. At least 45cm deep. So if you measure internally - 115cm long would be ok with 40 cm depth/width. But if it was 90cm long it would need to be 45 to 50cm depth/width.

As and when you get it ready for her to move into, pop on here for some tips about cage changes. Moving them to a new change can cause massive stress and a major setback - if you do it cold turkey. But if you follow a few little guidelines it can go really smoothly and her settle in quickly.

The main thing is to do the opposite of what you would think! ie don't start with everything clean and fresh in the new cage. Don't clean anything in the old cage first and then just move everything across so it still has her scent on. With substrate you can put new substrate in the new cage and then keep all the substrate from the old cage and spread it on top - so it smells familiar. Same with toys etc. And then don't clean anything for at least two weeks. Don't worry if it's slightly whiffy for a week or two.

Also a change from a barred cage to a tank style is a big change of environment so another thing that can help is if you let her play in the new cage the day before moving her over. Have some substrate and a few toys or a wheel in there and just let her spend some time exploring it. It's tempting at that point to leave them in there if they're enjoying it but I think it's better to put them back in the old cage overnight and then move everything over next day. It's adjustment. If they stay in it straight away and never go home it's a bit like being tricked!

I have just had a look and it’s internal measurements are 116cm x 50cm x 50cm

It’s a wood one with glass sliding doors.
Plan is to keep the top on for structural stability but cut a huge panel out of it so just left with a wooden rim round the edge and then mesh it. I was also planning on putting vents in both ends and there is already small ones on the back wall.
Plus a half height barrier acrylic to stop the bedding escaping when she opens the door.

That sounds good. I wish I had a brain that could create and design. ;) I look forward to seeing the finished result. :)

Back