Hamster Wheels 2024

Socks' wooden P@H wheel has developed a knocking sound. On looking at it in motion, it seems to be wobbling on it's axle. It still works well and Socks is certainly not put off it by the sound, but it's too noisy for the bedroom at the moment. Socks is having a good run on his Savic Rolly at the moment. I can see only one screw on the base, so tightening something to fix the wobble doesn't seem possible. There might be bearings in it, but I wouldn't have thought that it had been subjected to enough wear and tear to destroy a set of bearings 🙁 I think it is Socks' favourite wheel, but he enjoys his Rolly too. At the price of £15, it might be worth buying one to replace in due course. Even expensive wheels seem to malfunction before long.

Oh no. Is it tipping forwards on the axle at all? When I had the trixie ones they would go like that eventually and the wheel would be catching on the base.

You haven’t had it long have you? Maybe ask PAH for a replacement.

It is tipping forward, but seems to be just clearing the base. We can keep it for the play pen. Silent no more, Socks has worn out his first wheel 😄

I have to say that's why I stopped getting those wood ones. Eventually they would tip forward on the bearings and rub against the base, but not usually this quickly! If it's not rubbing the base, that's something, but when they tip forwards, I think the bearings are broken between the wheel and stand. Keep an eye on it in the playpen in case the wheel part comes adrift from the stand (although that shouldn't happen for some time hopefully!).

They really do hammer wheels sometimes don't they?!! The 12" silent runners do seem to last for years!

Hmm, perhaps it should be turned into a nice dig box. They do generate quite a bit of momentum and it's quite heavy if it takes a tumble. I'm pleased to hear the Rolly is a good wheel, in fact, I think it may even improve with age. I will look into Silent Runner wheels as well.

Hmm, perhaps it should be turned into a nice dig box. They do generate quite a bit of momentum and it's quite heavy if it takes a tumble. I'm pleased to hear the Rolly is a good wheel, in fact, I think it may even improve with age. I will look into Silent Runner wheels as well.
Using it as a dig box is a good idea 💡I used a too small wheel I bought for Blossom before I knew better to make her dig box. It’s her favourite thing in her cage :)

I got the NiteAngel super silent wheel 11 inch. I couldn’t have recommend it any better! You only hear pitter patters of the hamsters feet but the wheel is super silent. Personally I’m not a light sleeper and my boyfriend who is a light sleeper doesn’t mind it that much either the pitter patters but he hates when there is a seed on the wheel that accidentally fell in😂

It's a very popular wheel :-) And yes no wheel is silent when they fill it with food and it rattles around all night ha ha.

Yes, the putter patter is lovely, worth buying a quiet wheel just for that!

• Love
Reactions: Maz
It's a very popular wheel :) And yes no wheel is silent when they fill it with food and it rattles around all night ha ha.
I honestly found it funny hahahah, I just take the seed off and put it on the bedding (George doesn’t use it to store his food anyway, only accidentally by mistake) 😂😅

• Love
It is isn't it - a kind of comforting rhythm. I even quite liked the odd noisy wheel. Raffy had a noisy wheel at first (while waiting for a replacement) and we could hear it banging away against the bars, when upstairs in bed. It wasn't loud enough to keep you awake but kind of reassuring we knew when he was up and on his wheel. When his silent wheel came we quite missed the noise and knowing what he was doing!

It is isn't it - a kind of comforting rhythm. I even quite liked the odd noisy wheel. Raffy had a noisy wheel at first (while waiting for a replacement) and we could hear it banging away against the bars, when upstairs in bed. It wasn't loud enough to keep you awake but kind of reassuring we knew when he was up and on his wheel. When his silent wheel came we quite missed the noise and knowing what he was doing!
Honestly I feel always better when I hear some of the wheel too! Because I know he isn’t getting sick or anything! I do want to buy in the future the pedometer for the wheel so I can see how many miles he ran cause soemtomes I sleep through it ngl 😂😂😂

A pedometer for the wheel is a brilliant idea!

• Love
What a gorgeous puppy on your avatar Tulsi! Do you have a new puppy by any chance? :)

Thank you Maz. I dont have a new puppy. This picture is of my dearly departed collie, Tass who we adopted from many tears animal rescue in Wales, November 2010. She was 9 weeks old and this is the picture that was on their website. No wonder I fell in love hey?!!!

She was a fantastic dog, really beautiful and gentle and playful.

• Love
Back