Heavy breathing with mouth open and lack of movement

Mahahashmi3

Reaction score
It’s a bit hot where I am and my hamster was in my room for a few minutes with the ac off and I came back and he was barely moving and breathing heavily with his mouth open I took him to the vet but there are none in my city that treat hamsters they have me a glucose solution to give to him though orally with a syringe but is there anything else I can do I need help urgently!!!!!

Here is a picture

Attachments

• 8F80214A-1B56-43B9-B9D0-AD961A4FF770.jpeg
    8F80214A-1B56-43B9-B9D0-AD961A4FF770.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 13
You could try gently putting a bit of cool water on his ears. Also ice in a plastic bag wrapped in a fleece or a t shirt, a bag of frozen peas nearby, but not touching him

You could try gently putting a bit of cool water on his ears. Also ice in a plastic bag wrapped in a fleece or a t shirt, a bag of frozen peas nearby, but not touching him
Okay I’ll do that anything else ?

A fan blowing over the ice bag towards him might help too to cool the environment. Keep up the hydration too if he will take it. He might lick the glucose solution from your finger. Cucumber, if he will eat it as well.

A fan blowing over the ice bag towards him might help too to cool the environment. Keep up the hydration too if he will take it. He might lick the glucose solution from your finger. Cucumber, if he will eat it as well.
Okay got it thank you so much

Do you have any ceramic hides? You could put it in the fridge just to cool it down a bit it even just a large mug.
Also if you have sand for him, same thing.
Socks mum has already given good ideas, definitely cucumber for hydration and cooling. Watermelon is good if you have some

Hello - I'm really sorry to hear this - hamsters don't do well with extremes of heat or cold. Is the air conditioning back on again now? If so that should cool him and the room down. Is he in a barred cage or a tank? Ideally put something ceramic in the cage - a mug on its side is fine - or a ceramic tile. With a mug, use two and rotate them in the fridge. So put them both in the fridge.. When they're cold, take one out and add it to the cage on it's side - it's a cool place for the hamster to go. You can swap it for the other one later - it doesn't have to be really cold all the time - the ceramic itself is cooling.

Posted at the same time as Hank :) Socks Mum has given helpful ideas too - with anything wrapped in cloth, it needs to on the outside of the cage (eg the top bars or near the side) really. Just in case the hamster chewed the cloth.

Bag of frozen peas on top of a tea towel on top of the cage can help cool the cage down a bit, along with a fan. But then the air condiitioning might be back on now? So you wouldn't need both. The ceramic mug helps cool the hamster down more directly and they often choose to go and sit on a cool tile or in a cool hide and sleep out in the open when it's hot. It can be a good idea to keep something ceramic in the cage.

How old is he? And how is he doing now?

The room is cold now like at a good temperature and I’m keeping him cool he has cloth hides but those would make him warmer he stays in a glass tank and okay I got it I’ll use the mug

That's really good news the air conditioning is on and the room cooler. He'll appreciate the ceramic. How is he at the moment with his breathing? Good luck at the vets.

Perhaps this could something other than heat as a few minutes without AC shouldn't do any harm even in hot weather, though it might exacerbate an existing condition.

Breathing with the mouth opens usually points to a heart or lung issue such as congestive heart failure, which can be affected by heat. He does look very unwell in the photo. He looks like he's holding himself up a bit with his front legs. Does he do that often?

Sorry, that was a bit brief. He's possibly about almost a year. You are right, he looks very uncomfortable, poor little boy 🙁

Hey so got back from the vet and he was doing a lot better and the vet just told me to give him some vitamin c tablets dissolved in water, the vet said his heart rate was perfectly fine and he had stopped panting too ,he slept on the way home from the vet and still slept a bit more he’s moving around now although he’s shaking when he walks I’m assuming that’s because he’s a bit weak? The vet did say his body temperature was a bit low (probably while trying to cool him down) he woke up a while ago and his eyes wouldn’t open cause of some weird discharge like build up which I cleaned away and his eyes opened thenI gave him some more of the vitamin C solution and now he’s asleep again.He has a bit more energy now but he still seems very down

Back