Hello!

Buggy

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Bug/ Buggy, and use any pronouns.

I have done a bunch of research about hamsters, and sadly the one I had passed away too soon. So, before I get another, I am doing more research to see what I can do better, and if I did anything wrong.

Thank you all for reading, and your help in research!

Hello and welcome :) I'm so sorry your last hammy passed away too soon. I' m sure you didn't do anything wrong but sadly some hamsters have genetic issues from the outset. Not all pet shop hamsters will but the breeding of pet shop hamsters isn't good.

Have you considered getting one from a rescue? Rescues sometimes have litters of babies as well so you could give one a good start. Although most rescues come from pet shops in the first place, I usually reckon if they've survived and are living in a rescue they are pretty healthy! Also rescues get them any vet attention needed early on.

Are you in the US? There is also a list of ethical breeders in the Us.

I am in the US, Specifically near Maryland and PA. I can't travel far, and I've been checking the websites of rescues near me for one. I don't know how to find breeders near me though, so I would love help with that! Pet stores seem my only choice though

My hamster was a chinese hamster, which I know are prone to diabetes. She drank out of a tea light candle holder and never used the water bottle I had for her. She seemed to drink a lot of water, but I don't know how much is normal for them. It was very sudden, and her behavior never changed until the day before where I noticed her food was never touched and she didnt get on her wheel at the usual time. I only had her for 5 months though. If you have any ideas of what it could be, lmk!

That is very sad. Another member on here @ilguy had something similar with a Chinese hamster. It could have been anything really.

The only real breeders you'd want to consider are the ones who are members of the California Hamster Association or Ontario Hamster club. Any others will not be ethical (and probably supply the pet shops anyway).

This is the list of breeders who are part of the California Hamster Association (ie ethical breeders) - there does seem to be one in Maryland :) If you scroll down the page a bit.

Have you decided which species to get this time? Syrian, Russian dwarf or chinese?

Thank you!

I'm planning on a syrian, preferably a male since I know females can be a bit more picky. My enclosure is the Frisco Oasis from Chewy, so it's 47.25 x 23.62 x 29.53, which is over the 1000sqin that most female syrians want, so I'm not going to be too picky. I just want a lower risk of diabetes.

Wow that looks like an amazing enclosure. It's a new one on me. I can understand, after losing a hamster young, you would feel more comfortable with a species without the risk of diabetes. Syrians are generally healthy. Females can be susceptible to pyometra, so a male Syrian is a safe bet :)

When you get your cage set up and find your hamster, it would be great if you could review that cage on here - it's not one I've seen before.

Hello & welcome to the forum.
I’m really sorry to hear about your loss, it probably wasn’t anything you did that was wrong but it is sad & can be very disheartening when you’ve done your research & tried your best.
I’ve found that female Chinese can be more prone to kidney issues, usually drinking more but behaving normally until close to the end so it may have been that or possibly diabetes, it’s often hard to tell with hamsters.

Your enclosure sounds great & I look forward to meeting your new ham when you get all set up.

Reactions: Maz
Wow that looks like an amazing enclosure. It's a new one on me. I can understand, after losing a hamster young, you would feel more comfortable with a species without the risk of diabetes. Syrians are generally healthy. Females can be susceptible to pyometra, so a male Syrian is a safe bet :)

When you get your cage set up and find your hamster, it would be great if you could review that cage on here - it's not one I've seen before.
I'll look into it!

Hello & welcome to the forum.
I’m really sorry to hear about your loss, it probably wasn’t anything you did that was wrong but it is sad & can be very disheartening when you’ve done your research & tried your best.
I’ve found that female Chinese can be more prone to kidney issues, usually drinking more but behaving normally until close to the end so it may have been that or possibly diabetes, it’s often hard to tell with hamsters.

Your enclosure sounds great & I look forward to meeting your new ham when you get all set up.
Thank you! I didn't know about the kidney failure, so I'll have to file that info away for future reference

Hi! I'm Bug/ Buggy, and use any pronouns.

I have done a bunch of research about hamsters, and sadly the one I had passed away too soon. So, before I get another, I am doing more research to see what I can do better, and if I did anything wrong.

Thank you all for reading, and your help in research!
Condolences, and welcome! I have found a lot of useful information on the site that helps me care for my first (rescue) hamster Zelda.

Reactions: Maz
Back