Help!

It might seem hard on him to take the tubes away but I agree that the sooner you do it the better, the longer he has the tubes the more he’ll get used to being in there & more risk of it getting unhealthy, you may well find once he’s had a fee days to settle again after removing them he’ll make more use of the cage & use his wheel more, he may just be a little wary of venturing out of the tubes at the moment.
Which wheel do you have?

I feel so much better about my wee guy, removed this tubes when he woke up, added more bedding, he’s burrowing already, replaced the wheel with a flying saucer and he’s already been on it twice! Also added a couple of wooden toys with holes and he has explored them too! What a lovely forum this is, been so helpful! I will reduce the saw dust and add more bedding too when the cage gets it’s clean on Sunday thank you all again!

Aw lovely to hear he's enjoying the saucer :) . And digging a bit. It's frustrating but he'll probably need another couple of days to adjust to the change again and sort his nest out and might be slightly skitty in that time. You could try offering him the odd treat through the bars and talking to him though, as a start :)

Great news!
See, that's another thing with a bigger cage like a 80cm x 50cm for example and lots of substrate. It cuts down on the cleaning because you get away with spot cleaning for many weeks, even months.
Cleaning stresses a hamster because it removes their scent and hamsters rely on their scent to get about and to feel safe and settled.
There's no rush but once you get him a bigger home, you'll have space for the saucer and an upright wheel plus more enrichment as well.
My dwarf Lilly uses her saucer and her MouseBro wheel.

Back