Higgins

So late last night I decided to try and tempt Higgins out of the cage. He's about 9 weeks old now and been in his cage for a couple of weeks, but got in the habit of only coming out after lights out. I think he needs to get used to being around his new owner :)

I see him come and go from his HHH house every night so I lifted the roof to have a peak inside and there was no sign of him. He has used the potty though - clever boy. I lifted the roof of the ceramic hide with his food on top and he was sitting in there. Whether he just moved into it when he heard me moving things off the house roof, or whether he's decided to sleep there I'm not sure. He didn't run away though and was happy to be stroked so I lifted him out.

As I'd just reviewed and set up the Omlet playpen last night, it was a good place to put him. He was quite sleepy actually and stretched a lot! Also his first time in a playpen so he cautiously investigated the odd thing but looked like he was about to doze off the odd time :-) He was tempted by food though and happy for me to stroke him. So I chatted to him quite a bit and he looked up at me the odd time, but mostly he just sat there. It's very early days for him. He can move fast if he wants to though!

I tried to tempt him onto the wheel but he was a bit cautious so I actually picked him up and put him on the wheel - he sat in it for a while then climbed out again. All new territory for him! He seemed curious but suspicious :)

I'll probably have him in the bathtub next time until he gets used to being out of the cage and more used to me as well. It's a shame Tino wasn't out as he'd have loved being in a big playpen like that! A couple of videos to follow later.

IMG_2279 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_2283 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_2285 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_2286 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_2290 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_2291 jpeg.jpeg

IMG_2293 jpeg.jpeg

Aw thank you. It's going to take time before he's confident around me I think. He's similar to Tino in that respect. Not scared of being touched or stroked as he was used to that before he came, but doesn't like being picked up. Could take 2 or 3 months I guess but it varies. It took me about 3 months with Raffy.

Yes it's nice that he looks up at me and has eye contact :-) He also turns his back on me sometimes lol. He did that in the wheel but to be fair I was pointing the phone at him!

Aww great that he is happy to be stroked and lifted up. Kulfi only comes out after lights out but I think that it is the changing of the seasons and the fact that he realises that all is peaceful once it is dark. Must get round to putting him in his play cage.

Interesting to hear that you have the omlet playpen.

I was sent the playpen to review it, along with the wheel on the stand after sending them the review about the cage on here (I actually bought the cage though) :) I have to say when you open their items (the packaging is always very well done) you can't help but love them! The quality and design jumps out.

Here is Higgins out last night in the Omlet playpen - I chopped out a lot of bits of video where he just sat still ha ha - he was a bit sleepy and it was his first time out of the cage since arriving.

Thanks Steve! Yes his stretches are so cute :) I haven't worked out his personality yet - he's sort of laid back but also slightly wary - but then it is very early days.

He looks so happy nibbling away in the second video, I'm sure he is going to be great fun to interact with one he is a little more confident. Like you say it's very early days, he already seems pretty comfortable already, and he is clearly a curious little guy. Lovely video's.

Hamsters don't wag their tails, but they do vibrate their whiskers and use them to explore hands and put their front feet up on your hand affectionately.

Yes I could see Higgins whiskers twitching on that video while he was sitting in the wheel :) I was wondering what it meant at that moment though ha ha. It was while I was talking - I think he was reacting somehow and sussing out the environment maybe.

Fabulous to hear Higgins is happy for you to lift him up and that he enjoys his strokes. I think given a little more time he’s going to be a confident and friendly fella. You can tell he’s still figuring everything out by the way he’s curiously looking around. I do love the long stretches, especially lifting the feet, simply adorable ☺️

Back