History of the Roborovski Hamster

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to have a history of each species under the species section. So have started with the Roborovski hamster :-)

Roborovski's are usually found in desert regions in Kazakhstan, Mongolia and China. They live at quite high levels - 1200 metres or more - and their burrows can go 6 feet underground. They remain underground in winter and survive from their hoards.

They were first discovered by a Russian explorer, Lieutenant Vsevolod Roborovski who discovered them on an expedition in July 1894. They weren't studied scientifically until about 10 years later, and first appeared in the Uk in the 1960s, imported by London Zoo. Roborovskis today in the Uk are all descended from some bred in the Netherlands in 1990. So they are quite a recent pet.

Apparently there is a short film called "Roborovski" which won some awards at the Antipodean Film Festival in St Tropez France in 2021. I've tried searching for the film but haven't seen anywhere to view it.

Most of this info is from this Wikipedia link, which contains a lot more information :-)

Thank you for this.

I believe Robos are a more recent introduction to the pet trade, as I have a book about dwarf hamsters published in 1990 and it only mentions Robos very briefly, with no photos of them, and interestingly, it calls them "Raborovoskis Dwarf Russian hamster".

What is the book called?

What is the book called?
20240216_180543.jpg

A Step-By-Step Book About Dwarf Hamsters by Chris Henwood.

Chris Henwood is a very well-known breeder of many different types of rodents.

Reactions: Maz
Gosh, their name could have been even more complicated, looking at the Lieutenant's first name (Vsevolod)!

I was thinking that his family descendants might be the butt of jokes about being called after a Hamster :ROFLMAO:

What is the temperament and character of a Robo? Are they friendly?

What is the temperament and character of a Robo? Are they friendly?
Robos tend to be very skittish and timid and need lots of patience with taming. However they are very sweet hamsters and practically never bite.

Back