How to keep a hamster cool

In the last heatwave the house definitely kept cooler with the windows and doors kept closed. I left a fan on in the room, not directed at the cage but just to keep air circulating. I took out our coconut hide and placed a small ceramic tile in one of those tall square tissue boxes in its place, just with a few bits of shredded tissue which had been in the cage already, so were scented and Ham did come out and sit in there several times.

I wonder if this will be another heatwave. It's definitely warm where we are but not quite heatwave level.

In the last heatwave the house definitely kept cooler with the windows and doors kept closed. I left a fan on in the room, not directed at the cage but just to keep air circulating. I took out our coconut hide and placed a small ceramic tile in one of those tall square tissue boxes in its place, just with a few bits of shredded tissue which had been in the cage already, so were scented and Ham did come out and sit in there several times.
When it’s hotter outside than in, it’s definitely keeps a few degrees cooler inside if you keep the doors and windows shut.

I wonder if this will be another heatwave. It's definitely warm where we are but not quite heatwave level.
We’ll be up to about 27 degrees this week, so warm but not massively hot…although quite a change from our recent weather!! Hopefully we won’t be seeing 40 degrees this year…that was hellishly hot 🥵

Just a reminder to everyone that the hot weather at the moment could be affecting hamsters. So

1) Try and keep the room cool - if it's still hot with windows open and curtains drawn, a fan in the room can help - but not too close to the hamster cage and not pointing directly at it.
2) Add something cool (and safe) to the cage or enclosure - like a ceramic mug on its side that's been in the fridge - so they can go and sit somewhere cool if needed.
3) You can put a bag of frozen peas on top of the cage. But don't put ice directly inside the cage.

What would be too hot? If they stay below their bedding, does that mean they are cool enough?

I’m not sure what would be too hot to be honest. Usually when it gets too hot it’s clear the hamster is feeling it and they’ll be lying in the cage lethargic. So yes you would think they're not too hot if they stay under lots of bedding! It might even feel cooler possibly.

Or sitting in a ceramic hide or something (that's what mine have done before).

Thanks Maz. She does burrow deep down, so I've been checking the outside of the bottom and it seems quite cool. She popped out a minute ago and just grabbed food, no drink, so she must be staying cooler in her burrow. I've added a ceramic hide, just in case she wants it

Reactions: Maz
You would think it would be warmer under bedding wouldn't you? Maybe it feels less warm than the air though.

Blossom seems to have been drinking a little bit more than usual. I have checked her cage a couple of times to see if she’s sleeping out but she’s in her nest as usual. She’s been out for her tea as usual and seems to be fine in spite of the warmer temperatures. I added a couple of ceramic tiles for good measure, so hopefully they are helping to keep her cool when she does come out.

Socks is deep under the bedding too. He's switched tunnels and I can't even see the entrance to his current nest site. He was running on his wheel very energetically last night, despite the heat.

Thankfully a lot cooler tonight! I can hear Blossom downstairs on her wheel just now …back to normal!

I'm going away this weekend to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday 🎂 The weather is looking sunny and hot which is great for me, but I'm a bit worried about Blossom as I won't be home to open windows in the evenings. I'm going to leave the curtains drawn to keep it cooler, and Miss B has 2 ceramic tiles in her cage. My neighbour is coming in to feed her each day so she'll have fresh water. Hopefully she'll be OK 🫤

I got some granite tile samples the other day and they're great as they stay really cool. Most tile sellers will have free or cheap samples.

I also got this little house with a granite roof from Vetsend:

It's smaller than it looks (the photo with the guinea pig clearly photoshopped), and the doors are only just big enough for smaller Syrians (so it's more suitable for dwarfs really), but the roof stays cool.

I'm going away this weekend to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday 🎂 The weather is looking sunny and hot which is great for me, but I'm a bit worried about Blossom as I won't be home to open windows in the evenings. I'm going to leave the curtains drawn to keep it cooler, and Miss B has 2 ceramic tiles in her cage. My neighbour is coming in to feed her each day so she'll have fresh water. Hopefully she'll be OK 🫤
Maybe your neighbour can open the windows for a bit while round feeding 😊

Daisy that house looks great!

Maybe your neighbour can open the windows for a bit while round feeding 😊

Daisy that house looks great!
I realised it is only going to be really hot for one day so should cool down a bit after anyway.

Reactions: Maz
Back