im sad

rabi123

Reaction score
My hamster has a large wound under his cheek. I don't know if it's a tumor or an abscess. she scratched and bled last night i feel sorry for her I'm so scared, but I can't take it to the vet.

Hello Rabi and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear your hamster has a wound. Could you tell us more about your hamster? How old are they and what species are they?

Hello Rabi and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear your hamster has a wound. Could you tell us more about your hamster? How old are they and what species are they?
My hamster is Gonzales and she is about 2.5 years old. Sorry if there is a typo, I'm using translation.

My hamster is Gonzales and she is about 2.5 years old. Sorry if there is a typo, I'm using translation.
Is Gonzales their name? That is a very good age. Could you post a picture of your hamster?

Ren is a lovely name. I hope you can post a video.

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_233209.jpg
    IMG_20221103_233209.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230312_143636.jpg
    IMG_20230312_143636.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20221119-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20221119-WA0036.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4
I think it may help to clean her wound. Boil some water and when it is cool add a spoon of salt. You can use this to clean Rens wound to make sure it stays clean.

Is she eating and drinking as usual?

I think it may help to clean her wound. Boil some water and when it is cool add a spoon of salt. You can use this to clean Rens wound to make sure it stays clean.

Is she eating and drinking as usual?
I will do it. she is not eating and drinking as usual. And when we touch it, it immediately starts to itch.

Hello and welcome. I'm very sorry to see your hamster is like this and is not in a good way. That does look quite nasty. She is really quite an old hamster and it could be that she is pain. I think she may need to be put to sleep at the vets.

I really am sorry you are in this situation, but I think any vet may help just to put Ren to sleep.

As she is not eating or drinking it shows she is very unwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted at the same time as Rainbow. Cleaning it up may be good if that's not too painful for her but I suspect she is in pain because she's scratching it so much and looks a bit hunched at first. You say you can't take her to the vets. Is that because there isn't one close enough?

Posted at the same time as Rainbow. Cleaning it up may be good if that's not too painful for her but I suspect she is in pain because she's scratching it so much and looks a bit hunched at first. You say you can't take her to the vets. Is that because there isn't one close enough?
I am a student and not working. That's why I don't have enough money. My family doesn't like it either..

We're not vets so can't say what it is but as she is very old and it can be stressful for them having a lot of procedures at this age. Surgery would be out of the question probably and she would not be likely to survive the anaesthetic. If a vet decided it was a treatable abscess infection rather than a tumour they could treat with antibiotics, but she also needs pain relief. But if you don't have access to a good vet then the kindest thing may be to relieve her from any more pain and have her put to sleep. And as Rainbow says, they will often do this for very little, or no charge.

Has she had this long or has it just occurred?

Just to add, the only safe, kind way to have a hamster put to sleep is by a vet. So maybe try to contact a vet and explain the situation and that the hamster is suffering and needs to be put to sleep but you have no money - and see if they offer to do it for no charge or a very small fee.

Back