im sad

We're not vets so can't say what it is but as she is very old and it can be stressful for them having a lot of procedures at this age. Surgery would be out of the question probably and she would not be likely to survive the anaesthetic. If a vet decided it was a treatable abscess infection rather than a tumour they could treat with antibiotics, but she also needs pain relief. But if you don't have access to a good vet then the kindest thing may be to relieve her from any more pain and have her put to sleep. And as Rainbow says, they will often do this for very little, or no charge.

Has she had this long or has it just occurred?
not so new it could be two months maybe more. I'm sorry about that, but there's nothing I can do. I will see the vets again tomorrow..

So sorry this has happened and you are going through this. You are doing the kindest thing for Ren. Feel free to post as much as you like so we can support you.

Reactions: Maz
We're not vets so can't say what it is but as she is very old and it can be stressful for them having a lot of procedures at this age. Surgery would be out of the question probably and she would not be likely to survive the anaesthetic. If a vet decided it was a treatable abscess infection rather than a tumour they could treat with antibiotics, but she also needs pain relief. But if you don't have access to a good vet then the kindest thing may be to relieve her from any more pain and have her put to sleep. And as Rainbow says, they will often do this for very little, or no charge.

Has she had this long or has it just occurred?
It's not that new, maybe 2 months, maybe a little longer.. I can't do much, but I'll go to the vets tomorrow and ask.

Yes we're here for support during this difficult time.

Our hammies do get things wrong with them when they get old unfortunately, and two and a half is a very great age for a hamster.

I’m really sorry to see this has happened to your hamster, I was just wondering if you have any animal charities in Turkey who treat pets for people who don’t have enough money for a private vet?
It’s very hard to have to see your hamster suffering but as the others say she is a very good age & sadly they often do need help from a vet as they get old.

If it's cancer it can be quite a slow painful death over a long time sometimes which is why it can be kinder to have them put to sleep. If it's an abscess it could be treated but it could be quite expensive in vet fees. If it's an impacted cheek pouch that can be treated but can be quite complicated in an older hamster and a vet may still suggest having them put to sleep. My only experience of something similar was a Roborovski hamster with a lump, which he lived with for quite some time while on pain relief and I hoped he would just pass naturally, but he started chewing at the lump and my vet said that is a sign he is in pain and trying to amputate the thing causing the pain so sadly he had to be put to sleep to avoid suffering.

Unfortunately, we don't know what it is. Elusive's idea of an animal charity is a good one.

Last edited:
I’m really sorry to see this has happened to your hamster, I was just wondering if you have any animal charities in Turkey who treat pets for people who don’t have enough money for a private vet?
It’s very hard to have to see your hamster suffering but as the others say she is a very good age & sadly they often do need help from a vet as they get old.
there are very few places that take care of exotic animals in Turkey and there are no charities. there is a charity just for dogs and cats

If it's cancer it can be quite a slow painful death over a long time sometimes which is why it can be kinder to have them put to sleep. If it's an abscess it could be treated but it could be quite expensive in vet fees. If it's an impacted cheek pouch that can be treated but can be quite complicated in an older hamster and a vet may still suggest having them put to sleep. My only experience of something similar was a Roborovski hamster with a lump, which he lived with for quite some time while on pain relief and I hoped he would just pass naturally, but he started chewing at the lump and my vet said that is a sign he is in pain and trying to amputate the thing causing the pain so sadly he had to be put to sleep to avoid suffering.

Unfortunately, we don't know what it is. Rainbow's idea of an animal charity is a good one.
I will go to the vet tomorrow and let you know. thank you again

I'm so sorry that you are in this situation. Any vet should be able to put your hamster to sleep. It doesn't have to be an exotics vet. You could ask to pay a small amount each week or month until the bill is paid off.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your hamster Ren. Please do take your hamster to your local vet. If you explain your financial situation they may treat your hamster for free or perhaps you could offer to do some volunteer work for them in lieu of payment.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your hamster Ren. Please do take your hamster to your local vet. If you explain your financial situation they may treat your hamster for free or perhaps you could offer to do some volunteer work for them in lieu of payment.
tyy!! but such a thing is not possible in Turkey 🙁 I'll go to the vet tomorrow anyway and I'll let you know.

Back