Keeping warm

I can't quite imagine Jain. I thought they were quite big things. It would certainly be nice and cosy. But would there be excess on the floor or something and just the top wrapped round the cage base?
If I finally get on with the job I will take a photo I would cut it to size make layers stitched together I can't knit but I'm ok with a sewing machine 😃

Oh I see! So you mean cut it up and stitch it the right size - good idea!

So sorry to hear of the loss of your dog, its a gorgeous photo, our pets become members of our family and are so dearly missed. Sending caring thoughts.

Lots of great ideas for keeping our little friends cosy. We run a building company and when some new tools arrived last year the box was just the perfect size. I’ve had it folded flat behind his enclosure all year, so popped his cage back in it last night. I then place some old blankets in the gaps around the bottom to help keep heat in and any drafts out 🙂

IMG_1436.jpeg

It is really cold - we’ve had frosts and ice. Raffy is in spare bedroom at the moment which gets cold and I have the thermometer in there. When it went under 16 degrees I put a little mini heater in there on a timer a couple of hours a day which is doing the trick. Living room is warmer.

It has been quite cold here too & getting colder later in the week, I’ve already had a heat pad under Sky’s cage one night, he’s at the cold end of the room & closer to the floor (my floor gets freezing!) so I have a mini radiator there too if I need it, Liriél’s cage stays warmer though.

The lounge where Blossom is stays quite warm during the day, but gets cold overnight. I try to keep the doors/curtains closed and a draught excluder by the door which all help, but my husband comes to bed after me and isn‘t so reliable with keeping it warm 😏 The temperature in the lounge was 16 degrees the other morning when I came down early, so at least if I put a heat pad under one end of the cage, I won’t worry about her getting too cold 🥶

Right shenanigans going on here tonight! The thermostat for the boiler had broken so I had a heating engineer round this evening to fix it…should have taken 5 minutes only, and the boiler itself was working fine. Fast forward 2 hours, and I have no heating or hot water!!! The part seems to be faulty and keeps tripping the fuses in the boiler, so he’s got to get a new part and come back in the in the morning! Fortunately the engineer has given me two new brand new fan heaters to use so we are not completely without heat! Temperatures are dropping below freezing tonight, and without central heating, to keep Blossom warm, I’m planning to use her new snuggle pad. I have raised her cage up so I can slip the pad under. I’ve taken a photo of the set up. Perhaps you guys could take a look and see if you think it will be ok 👌 IMG_7207.jpeg

That looks fine to me. But I think it will take more than the Snugglepad with freezing overnight temperatures. You might have to get the room really warm before going to bed, with the fan heaters, and then put them on early morning again.

What a nightmare for you though - sounds horrible.

Oh no! What a nightmare for you. I would attach some cardboard to the bars so you can add more bedding as well as Maz's suggestions. The bedding will help to keep Blossom warm. I really hope it is sorted soon.

That looks fine to me. But I think it will take more than the Snugglepad with freezing overnight temperatures. You might have to get the room really warm before going to bed, with the fan heaters, and then put them on early morning again.

What a nightmare for you though - sounds horrible.
Yes, I have got the temperature up, and will pop the heaters on again before I go to bed to get it right up. Fortunately, the house is well insulated, and holds its heat reasonably well. I’ll come down as early as possible to put a heater on, but it may not be as early as the heating usually comes on.

If I finally get on with the job I will take a photo I would cut it to size make layers stitched together I can't knit but I'm ok with a sewing machine 😃
Unfortunately it wouldn't go though my sewing machine and it was too much to hand sew so back to the drawing board 🤔

Reactions: Maz
What a nightmare, so sorry to hear this has happened just when temperatures are dropping so low so fast, it’s well below freezing here too.
The snugglesafe with the raised cage looks good to me too.
If you’ve got anything like fleece blankets (I get the small pet ones) you can put them under there with the snugglesafe to keep it warmer longer they do keep the heat well though so Blossom should be ok for now.
Hope it all gets fixed for you this morning 🤞

I put the heater on again this morning to warm up the lounge. The thermometer read 16 degrees, so with the snuggle pad, Blossom should be OK 👍 I haven't seen her this morning yet, tho I often don't. The heating engineer should be here soon 😏 I think he said I can keep the heaters which would actually be really useful to bump up the temperature when it gets really chilly 🥶

Fingers crossed he gets it fixed this time! This is why we initially got one of those oil filled radiators with a timer and thermostat on it! When the heating kept breaking down in our last house. They really pump out the heat and only come on when the temperature gets below a certain amount. But they are not cheap to buy. And electricity is expensive, but they do work out slightly cheaper than using fan heaters. My parents had something similar - they were given fan heaters and told they could keep them. It's such a hassle for you though.

Back