Lump? Spot? Abscess?

Second hand zoozone 2's can be quite cheap too :-) There's one here on ebay for £10. Although maybe not the right area for you. I can't really tell what size the current one is :-)

I’m surprised to hear you say upright one is better as I’ve always read online watched videos and also my own experience is that the flying saucer ones are often more recommended.
I personally think robos love running on flying saucers, but the general recommendation is that they have an upright wheel as well as they run straighter on an upright wheel :) But they do seem to love saucers too.

I could understand not wanting to buy an expensive new cage if the hamster is elderly and if the current cage is familiar and not particularly small - but you can get some good second hand ones and she might enjoy a bit more space and some digging :-) How big is her current cage?

Actually that ebay listing is incorrect. It says it's a zoozone 2 but it's the smaller zoozone 1 which is about 75cm x 45cm I think.

Anyway, if you're in the Uk, a vet check shouldn't cost too much. My exotic vet charges about £24 for a check over. Any medication would be extra though. But if money is tight they will often let you pay a bit at a time. If you google exotic vets in the area and phone around, you can ask what a consultation fee is - they vary quite a bit. Another vet nearer me, who isn't an exotic vet, charges quite a lot more than the exotic vet!

If it is an abscess it should be easy to fix at this stage. As she is older and it has been protruding for some days, I think it needs to be treated as she doesn't seem to be throwing it off by herself as a younger hamster would. Being nice and external, it shouldn't be too difficult to diagnose. Treatment at this stage should be straightforward for a cyst/abscess. If it's a tumor, the sooner you know what it is the better as you can decide on what you and your vet think the best treatment plan is. Hamsters are high metabolism rodents whose physiology demands high levels of activity, constantly foraging, eating, house making to survive, so they will remain as active as they can, even when health problems are making demands on their body. If you leave it until she starts to lose energy the risk is far greater that the problem will get the upper hand and you could lose her, even with vet treatment, which would be more extensive at a more advanced stage.

I’m surprised to hear you say upright one is better as I’ve always read online watched videos and also my own experience is that the flying saucer ones are often more recommended.
There is a lot of misinformation out there. Sone say flying saucers are ok to use in a playpen. I personally do not use flying saucers. My robo had a 8.9 inch wheel.😊

I’ve listened and I’ve put an upright wheel in her cage. Her bump seems to have gone down too. Here she is munching away. Xxx

Attachments

• 435DF0BB-09EC-4879-ABCA-A9E4E24E5C9C.jpeg
    435DF0BB-09EC-4879-ABCA-A9E4E24E5C9C.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 8A98CC96-9C9D-4D31-B308-E7B1FCC51B40.jpeg
    8A98CC96-9C9D-4D31-B308-E7B1FCC51B40.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 12
That is wonderful news! I am happy to hear you bought her an upright wheel. She is so cute. :)

Back